Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Framing Nailers?

Framing Nailers?

After just asking about framing hammers I am now interested in Pneumatic Framing nailers.

What makes and models do you like?? I have always liked Senco finish and brad nailers myself, but never owned a framing gun. If you don't reccommend any which would you not reccommend?

What is the purpose of the angles (more compact I assumed, but not sure)

What is the the advantages/disadvantages of the different types of "ammo" they use
    i.e. paper tape, plastic coated, coil, etc...

I was thinking that since I do not use one a lot I would buy the one that uses the cheapest type of nails, am I wrong in thinking that?

If not which generally are the cheapest in, for example, a 3.5" size

Framing Nailers

Jacob, I have a 21 degree Harbor Freight 10 gauge framing nailer , and I really like it. I built my 16 x16 ft. work shop with it . I have shot almost 4000 nails with out having any problems. The only fault I can find with it is it is hard to find nails for it , unless you go to harbor freight. They have a nailer that my brother in law bought that takes 3 diferent styles of nails. However he did have some feeding problems. I used plastic glued nails and had no feed problems. He used paper bound nails and had problems with paper jamming up, then he used wire bound nails with no problems. At $79 I am most satisfied with my nailer. Happy woodworking, Craig

One piece of advice I can give you is to make sure you get one that has a way to set it to "single shot" if you are a weekend warrior. Framing nailers work great, but double and triple shots are not uncommon for folks (like me) who don't have the intimacy with the tool that a framer who is using one day-in, day-out has. My Senco has this issue and before I use it again, I plan on getting the instructions from the company on how to switch it over to "single shot" mode--which I know it can do, but is not documented in the paperwork I received when I bought it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

They just had a thread on this a few weeks ago.

My answer is still the same, Hitachi. I have the Framer, Sheathing Stapler, Coil Nailer. The only time they need service other than routine cleaning is when I drop them off a roof. Even then there is a good chance they'll be just fine.

The 21 degree nailers shoot full head nails. The others shoot clipped head nails. Some building departments will not allow clipped head nails.

So much of the decision first comes down to what is allowed in your locale. If only full head nailers, then you have to go with the 21 degree and plastic collated nails. If you can use a clipped head nail then you have options for wire-collated or paper-collated.

Check local building supply stores for what types of nails are stocked. If you want to shoot a range of sizes, be sure you can get them locally in the kind of collation you get a gun for.

Hitachi, Senco, Milwaukee, Porter Cable, and Bostitch all make guns that are highly rated. Once the full head/clipped head issue is resolved and the kinds of nails available locally, you can pretty much choose a matching gun from any of the above brands by price.

I have a Paslode 350 pneumatic framing gun that shoots several sizes of nails and I am very happy with it. Think it is a 30 degree full or clipped head nails. The nails are sold at most borgs and hardware stores and if it needs repaired there are many service places available.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith, too View Post
    The 21 degree nailers shoot full head nails. The others shoot clipped head nails. Some building departments will not allow clipped head nails.

So much of the decision first comes down to what is allowed in your locale. If only full head nailers, then you have to go with the 21 degree and plastic collated nails. If you can use a clipped head nail then you have options for wire-collated or paper-collated.

Check local building supply stores for what types of nails are stocked. If you want to shoot a range of sizes, be sure you can get them locally in the kind of collation you get a gun for.

Hitachi, Senco, Milwaukee, Porter Cable, and Bostitch all make guns that are highly rated. Once the full head/clipped head issue is resolved and the kinds of nails available locally, you can pretty much choose a matching gun from any of the above brands by price.
    Most manufacturers have modified there gun nails to have a full head nail that will work in the guns that were manufactured to shoot a clipped head. I haven't seen a clipped head nail in these parts for quite some time.

Hello,
    I have a Bostitch F28WW.
    It's pure animal.
    It'll dirve a 3 1/2" fastener into concrete w/no effort.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I second the "Hitachi" vote. I was looking at them in the store, and somewhat unsolicited , I got advice from a guy (customer) shopping at the same time. He was a builder, and said if I don't want any problems then go with the Hitachi. Are the others good? I'm sure they are. But I only own one and have not had any issues.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

I have so many guns it's hard to keep track.
    But, above Mark said it best.
    Its about the nails.
    Now, I favor the bostitch because its just what I am use to.
    This of course goes to methods of work and what makes you comfortable.
    But and, big but here, I have switched my finish nailers to Hitachi.
    I am now looking at the Hitachi framer.
    Why? because I am getting old.
    And If I have to walk your rafters, I really don't want to be hanging on to a ton.
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

I'm the old guy

Ive become the old guy framing. I don't know when that happened but it did. I more supervise then anything these days my guys won't really let me even carry anything heavy anymore they just basically kiss my ar$e. Its good to be the boss I can conncentrate on more refined work.
    Anyway my tool guy turned me onto max guns a few years ago. I have to say its probably the best framing gun Ive owned, and Ive owned alot. Also while we're talking pneumatic guns try out the 1/4" hoses they're way more flexible and lighter to drag around. Heres a Max gun. The swivel connector is also a nice feature. They're not cheap and you won't find them at the box stores but they are worth it to me
    http://wis.max-ltd.co.jp/int/na/index.html
    William
    http://woodworkers.us
    I never lost money on a job I didn't get

Forgot about the max,
    Thanks Will.
    But Will brings up a very good point.
    Air lines.
    Never mind the gun.
    It's the hose that count's.
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Should I show my age here? Ya, why not... what the heck! When I was framing houses, we used hammers. Big hammers. 28 oz waffle faced hammers with really long handles. 16d cement coated "sinkers" sunk and set in two swings. Otherwise you were a sissy! Nailers? Guys who used nailers were "wusses". No way you could build a "tight" frame with a nailer. No self respecting framer would even own one. Guns were OK for roofers and maybe for nailing off sub flooring but we always went back and set all the nails with a good lick with a hammer. I screwed up my back and got out of framing before nail guns had really become anything more than a tract house framer's tool. Do I have a point to make? Well... no.... not really....
    David DeCristoforo

David,
    You are showing your age.
    That was then,this is now.
    And, how is that model T running.?
    T.E. Lawrence

I have a Bostitch 28-degree stick nailer. It's about 2 years old.

I like it a lot. Has triggers for both sequential trip and bounce fire. Didn't come with a rafter hook, however. I bought an aftermarket one and put it on. You'll be surprised how often you'll need it.

Don't be afraid of the bounce fire. Just learn how to use it properly. If you're doing a lot of framing, it'll save you a bunch of time. This is especially true if you're laying down a lot of sheathing or roof decking.

The Bostitch will also take full round head or "clipped" head nails. Some codes apparently won't allow for clipped head, but I used them for building a shed and they worked just fine.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by "Jacob Robinson" View Post
    After just asking about framing hammers I am now interested in Pneumatic Framing nailers.

What makes and models do you like?? I have always liked Senco finish and brad nailers myself, but never owned a framing gun. If you don't reccommend any which would you not reccommend?

What is the purpose of the angles (more compact I assumed, but not sure)

What is the the advantages/disadvantages of the different types of "ammo" they use
    i.e. paper tape, plastic coated, coil, etc...

I was thinking that since I do not use one a lot I would buy the one that uses the cheapest type of nails, am I wrong in thinking that?

If not which generally are the cheapest in, for example, a 3.5" size