Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I gave up cigarettes...and took up cigars....

I gave up cigarettes...and took up cigars....

Here's my first cigar pen. This was for practice for the upcoming one for a friend of my DIL. Black titanium cigar pen in curly sycamore with a CA and BLO finish. My first....

c2.jpgc3.jpg

Comments and critiques welcomed!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

What practice - that looks perfect! Beautiful wood and finish! Don't see how you could possibly improve on that one! Very nice work Ken!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

first cigar

Wish my first attempt at anything was that good.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

I agree with Steve. They are beautiful Ken. Thanks for sharing.
    Eugene in NC

Blog Entries
    Ken,

I think that is an excellent looking pen. Keep them coming.
    Have a Nice Day!

Wow! Those are great. I love the way the curly grain in the wood you chose makes the surface look... wavy! Seriously good work Ken!

Keep the pics coming! One of these days I am going to have to try and make a pen! You are very very bad for my wallet Ken!

Thanks!

Joshua

Very nice pen Ken. The craftsmanship and finish are excellent. I wish I could get a CA finish to look that good. I have only tried a couple of times, but the results were disasterous. It looked terrible, and I nearly glued myself to the lathe. I really like your choice of wood. The curl is very nice.

Your photography is coming along nicely as well. Reflective metal is hard to work with. I am teaching my class how to do metal in a couple of weeks. They usually hate that class. If I could offer a minor critique of your photography, it would be to wipe the fingerprints off the surfaces before you shoot.

c2b.jpg

It is a very minor issue here, but if the fingerprint was large, it would be really noticable. They show up on the metal, and dull the surface of the wood. Some people wear cotton gloves, but my skin is so rough from turning, the cotton sticks like velcro. I wear latex gloves, and that way I don't dirty my nice clean surfaces. I really like the wood object (bowl) used to hold up your pen, because it echos the "wood" idea. If you shoot the pen just laying on a clean surface and it wants to roll to an orientation you don't like, you can use floral wax or a putty made by 3M to temporarily stick them in place. Both clean off well after you're done.
    Last edited by Brian Brown; 11-10-2008 at 8:45 AM. Reason: add pic
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Brian.....great eyes! I'll keep that in mind when I shoot the next one.

Do a search on International Association of Penturners. Go to their website and the library forum. Russ Fairfield has a video there about using the BLO and CA finish. It's almost foolproof. I find it much easier to use than just CA by itself.

Thanks again for the critique!
    Ken

Ken that is a super looking Cigar. Great looking wood. Well done my friend.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Great looking pen ken! Glad you got the 3520B pen lathe!

Mike....Maybe I turned that on the "Bomb"? It's still there in the shop.....

But really I just wanted to prove you can turn something small on a big lathe!
    Ken

The "bomb"?

Good job in the pens Ken. I believe you maentioned one time that you had a HF 34706 lathe(?) I recently retired mine to pen making duty. It does a great job. So whatever "The bomb" is, it doesn't have do a whole lot to turn a pen.
    Bob

Robert....the "Bomb" is a Jet VS Mini the inmate turners here gave me nearly 3 years ago. I got into a teasing match with them. They decided I needed to learn to turn. They took up a collection and sent me a Jet VS Mini, a bunch of tools, videos, wood, and SN2 chuck. I ended up with about $1100-1200 worth of stuff. My shop was nearing completion when it arrived. It was another 18 months before I got back to finishing my shop. Last fall I upgraded to a PM3520B. Mike is "gigging" me about using a PM3520B to make a pen.

Morale of the story: Don't tease turners....they will get even!
    Ken

Great job on the pen Ken. Makes me want to make a cigar pen tomorrow. All I've done so far are slim line and Euros.
    Dave

Thanks David. I actually found the cigar pen easier to do than the Euros and the slimlines as far as form goes. The bushings I got from CSUSA were the most accurate I have had so far. Using dial calipers to measure the bushings I found they matched exactly what I found on the hardware. I didn't have to factor in any fudge factor.
    Ken