Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wood In New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Paul, has Willard moderated their prices at all? Things really ratcheted up there to the point it was worth the extra long drive to Hearne for me...
    Jim,
    In all honesty I do not know. Their prices went up a bit when I was there last but not enough for me to not go there. I have only been there a couple of times under the new ownership so things may have changed more.
    I was so use to the previous ownership in calling them up and asking for a certain amount of BF and then having them call me when it was in. I always asked for rough sawn... I got to know them real well and it never even crossed my mind to look elsewhere...plus they are quite close

Paul, I only ask because I know that when they bought out Simmie Agen's stock from his wife, they pretty much doubled the price from what I heard. It's actually been a few years since I've been to Willard.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dan Bussiere Guest
    There is also:

Mr. Roberts Wood Center
    50 Clements Bridge Rd
    Barrington, NJ
    (856) 547-7620

I am not associated with them in any way, but I have bought wood there and they were reasonable.

Dan

Willard is pretty close to me, but yeah, a bit more expensive than others. I'm not sure that they changed ownership, just management I think. Last time I was there I bought some of Simmie's stock, it was discounted from their regular stuff but I'm sure not as cheap as it was when he sold it.

I like Montheath in Old Bridge. Larger quantities and varieties. It's a longer drive but if I'm going for more than 1 or 2 boards it is worth it.

Mike Quin

Good guy to deal with and very fair prices. Been going there for years
    Dave

PA Lumber

I am placing an order today with PA Lumber/ Mike Morgan. It will be shipped to Northern NJ Oak Ridge to be exact. If you are interested in getting your wood shipped with mine It will reduce the shipping per bd foot.

Shoot me a PM.

Joshua

I'm not too sure about prices, but Dykes lumber (main yard is in Weehawken)
    201-867-0391. Another yard is Rosenzweig lumber...it's a candy store for woodworkers, in the south Bronx, near the Triboro bridge. 718-585-8050. They let you pick out your own boards (some places don't). They also have a large selection of plywoods.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Paul, I only ask because I know that when they bought out Simmie Agen's stock from his wife, they pretty much doubled the price from what I heard. It's actually been a few years since I've been to Willard.
    And boy, did that break my heart when I lost the supply that Simmie had. Some beautiful oak, walnut and other species there in that old barn.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Another search source

Woodfinder(dot)com.

Doesn't anyone around here every look for local sawmills ? A fraction of the price usually, and you can find unique things you would not find shrink wrapped and labeled at the other places.

I put a list of links together to help find sawmills that sell direct...you are literally surrounded, I did a quick search. http://nelsonwoodworks.biz/pb/wp_a99..._a9976cb4.html

Well I had written a rather long reply but somehow it got lost in the web browser and I'm not writing it all again. Curse me for not writing it in microsft word first DHAMKIT!

Anyway you can PM me for more details.

I live 10 minutes from Willard. Do yourself a favor and don't go there, they are crooks and their wood is not that great! Don't waste your day driving to Hearne. My woodworking friends and I laugh every time we read a post about how great Hearne is. They really aren't, and you can find MUCH BETTER stuff at better prices. Go to woodfinder or woodplanet, call some of the people and have them send you some pictures. You're best bet is to buy a whole or half log. You will get really nice material with matching grain and your furniture will be all the better. You can find it for the same price as the regular guff they sell at Willard or Hearne.

Like I said, feel free to PM me and maybe I can give you some more info.

Noah

Jason, I buy all my hardwood in the rough and mill it myself,and I buy it at Center Lumber on Fulton st. in paterson nj. I live in Pompton lakes, just around the corner from you, so its only a 20 minute ride. They have a huge inventory of maple, walnut ,cherry, white oak, red oak, poplur, you name it !I havent stocked up for almost two years but I was paying about 3.50 per board ft for maple at that time, I dont know the going rates now.they will surface your wood if you want. feel free to e-mail me if you want @ elowell58@optonline.net

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Levy View Post
    Well I had written a rather long reply but somehow it got lost in the web browser and I'm not writing it all again. Curse me for not writing it in microsft word first DHAMKIT!

Anyway you can PM me for more details.

I live 10 minutes from Willard. Do yourself a favor and don't go there, they are crooks and their wood is not that great! Don't waste your day driving to Hearne. My woodworking friends and I laugh every time we read a post about how great Hearne is. They really aren't, and you can find MUCH BETTER stuff at better prices. Go to woodfinder or woodplanet, call some of the people and have them send you some pictures. You're best bet is to buy a whole or half log. You will get really nice material with matching grain and your furniture will be all the better. You can find it for the same price as the regular guff they sell at Willard or Hearne.

Like I said, feel free to PM me and maybe I can give you some more info.

Noah
    Why is Williard and Hearn so bad? please state your reasons. Where have you been finding consistant quality wood for years here in NJ?

I don't understand, either, Paul. I've gotten excellent material from Hearne...very much worth my drive, including matched material from consecutive boards in a log.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Travis Ruhland near Long Valley has a large inventory of everything domestic. Cherry/Walnut under 4.00 BF.
    http://www.woodweb.com/directories/sdd/posts/580.html