Thread: The Woodworking shows - An Opinion...

The Woodworking shows - An Opinion...

I Finally got to see a Woodworking show here in Tucson, AZ. (I would have met the Creekers for breakfast, but could not get away early enough). Last year, I could not make it up to Pheonix to see the show there. This year, the Arizona show was held in Tucson, so I had no excuse.

I have noticed some negative opinions about The Woodworking Shows on SMC. Things like the big dealers don't support, and there is a lot of little stuff that some people have no interest in, etc.

Neophytes like myself have a different opinion, though. There is always something to learn and something new to see. There is a better selection of woodworking products than anywhere in town and the prices are good, too.

Overall, I enjoyed myself. I ended up spending the greater part of Saturday at the show and went back Sunday, for a little bit. Wood Magazine's Jim Heavey, demostrated some homemade jigs and how to build a small Mission-style desk. He was a delightful and entertaining teacher. I learned new techniques and got tips I hadn't learned anywhere else. Talking to the various vendors, I got to see with my own eyes how certain tools and upgrades could improve my processes, my safety, and my equipment's performance at home. I didn't come home empty-handed either, as my wallet could attest, if it only could speak! Ouch!

Would I have been happier to have seen more? Sure, but I understand economics. No one does anything for free in this world, unless one possesses unlimited wealth and is so disposed to cast it away freely! We all have to make a profit at what we do, or we could not sustain our businesses, or our lives.

I talked to the show's organizer and the show will not return to Arizona again. There is just not enough interest in this state. He lost money on our show. No fault of the organizer, in my opinion. Woodworking requires wood! Hardwood forests are just not located here in the desert. All wood must be brought in. It is less available and more expensive, as a result. That discourages a lot of beginners. The organizer said he gets a much larger vendor presence in other markets, but I did not miss the businesses who did not show.

The show will go on, however, in other locations where enough people show up. Fortunately, there are places the show does go where it will not lose money like in Arizona.

If the woodworking community does not show up for these shows, the same thing will happen in the other markets, as has happened here. The show will simply fail. I wish the big tool manufacturers had been here. I would have liked to have looked their selection and seen some of my future purchases before I lay down the big bucks. But, unless we go to the shows in sufficient numbers, they will not come. It makes it tough for the show organizer. If the big dealers don't come, neither do the crowds, if the crowds do not come, neither will the vendors.

I do not want to be the guy that tells anyone what to do on their day off. (Finish that project or patronize The Woodworking Show?) But I do want to encourage you to support these events when you get a chance. It is good for the woodworking community, it is good for businesses, and it is good for jobs.

BTW, I am in no way connected with anyone at these shows. I am just an ordinary Joe, (not the plumber, either) who wished there was more interest and availability for woodworking in his own town.
    Last edited by Eric Gustafson; 11-10-2008 at 11:06 AM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gustafson View Post
    There is a better selection of woodworking products than anywhere in town
    This statement about covers my reasons for going. The show is where I could compare LV and LN planes side by side by actually using them. This didn't make the decision easy as they are both great products but it made my decision solid in my mind as I could touch both products.

Where else am I going to see an Agazanni or a Minimax without having to drive into the City of Angels? The show returns to my area in March and dad and I will be going. It is just one more excuse for dad and son to go out-a-bonding ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I go because - -

It is close at the Dulles Expo (about 19 miles).

Prices are good.

Lee Valley offers free shipping for stuff bought at the show.

I get to touch and handle planes by LV and LN.

The classes are sometimes good.

Clamps are cheap.

You can test some good stuff like Noden's Adjust a Bench (which I bought).

SWMBO lets me spend money there.

Guys like us are there and we do talk.

Useful products show up.

It is a good value for the money I spend to get in. AND

I have a good time and wish they had two every year.

Problem is its a chicken-and-egg thing. I'm not sure if I'm going this year because I've been disappointed the last few times and didn't even go last year. I'm leaning towards not going unless they post a list of vendors and there's someone I'm really interested in. The last few times, the vendor selection was rather poor and there were way too many irrelevant vendors like the magic broom guys, the collapsible ladder guys, and automatic wire stripper guys. So that will hurts their attendance which reduces the number of vendors, which further hurts attendance. Add to that the fact that there are rarely any deals at these shows. Most places prices are about the same as their retail or web stores. Plus you actually have to pay $10 for the honor of shopping there and for a lot of people make a pretty good drive.

The best show I've been to was free, including free hot dogs, at Woodwerks in Columbus, OH. They had an in-store show with a number of vendors and I bet I saw more stuff and better prices than at the regular show. Granted, not every town has a place like Woodwerks. Unfortunately for me, my brother no longer lives there so I don't have an excuse to go.

If these shows want people to come, they are going to have to figure out how to make it worthwhile.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 11-10-2008 at 12:10 PM.

I'll go in February like I always do. I'll spend way too much time there as usual. My buying has gone down in the years as I really just don't need much. LN used to show here, they didn't last year which was sad cause I spent the most time there learning and buying some.

I get much more out of the local tool store who does their own in conjunction. With free food I must add. All the mfrs are there so you get to touch and ask lots of questions.

The main show has become more of a a chance to walk around and run into folks I know more than a place to buy lots of new stuff. But hey who doesn't need a Shamwow or whatever the thing is called or a set of rubber brooms or hose reels.

But seriously, since many places have dropped out, anything is a tool these days. I can see the same thing at the Home and Remodeling show I go to ever year too. At least there I can get get 50 cents worth of candy back for my admission fee. and not feel bad about it.

I do fear with the economy, it's only a matter of time before this show is gone forever.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Education

4 or 5 years ago they held the WW show at the county fairground in Phoenix. One year I signed up for a half day cabinet making seminar with Andy Rae and a router jig session with the router lady (can't remember her name off the top of my head.)

Another year I went to an all day session with Kelly Mehler on cabinet making and dovetails. All of these sessions seemed to be at maximum class levels.

Last year, I went to the show at Westworld. Little, somewhat informal loosely scheduled seminars. Mostly put on by vendors. Spent over $1,000 on 'little stuff' and paid $12 for the privledge of parking and walking in the door.

The website for this years AZ show didn't even show the list of vendors until about a week ago. The education opportunities were represented as a loose grab bag of unscheduled sessions (unless you call the every hour on the hour sales pitches from the booth a scheduled sesion.)

Some folks may need/want to touch a SawStop, it's not there. Some are looking to learn a bit, not really there.

There's an old saying in marketing; in order to have a business, you have to have a product. If they want to reestablish the crowds, they have to reestablish the product.

Jim

I went this year, first time, just to dream of when I can actually have time to do woodworking. I'm sorry to see it leave AZ. I have bought a lot of equipment at shows in the past, in my other life. The only think I learned at this show was that "laser" is a bad word.
    But I enjoyed it anyway. Some day I still want a lathe and this gave me a chance to look at what is around now.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    ... there were way too many irrelevant vendors like the magic broom guys, the collapsible ladder guys, and automatic wire stripper guys.
    Exactly! That's a problem at all the shows I've attended over the past few years. No matter what the theme, woodworking, gardening, or even Oktoberfest, the hall is full of window and siding vendors and people pitching irrellevant gizmos. I've even seen Avon and Creative Memories dealers.

If someone is going to put on a themed show, they should keep to the theme. I'm willing to be flexible, but c'mon. Why would I pay admission to talk to Avon and Creative Memories dealers? Or a vinyl siding contractor offering no new products or technology?

I got a card in the mail about The Woodworking Show coming to Denver. I think it's in February. I'd like to make the trip. But if I see an Oxy-Clean booth, I'm not going back.

Interestingly, the promotion card I received for The Woodworking Show features a very large picture of Norm Abram. "Oh, cool. Norm's gonna be there," I thought. After reading the caption I learned there would be an opportunity to register for a contest. The prize is a visit to NYW. They almost fooled me. :-)
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 11-10-2008 at 12:44 PM.

Talking

I attended the large show in Toronto last year because I was looking for a Jointer/planer and Felder, Hammer, MiniMax and Laguna were there.

I saved about $800 by ordering an A3-31 at the show (humour me and ignore the fact that I had to spend $3,200 to do that)

The show was a good place to view machinery and attend seminars, and my wife always goes with me.

As I've been in the hobby 30 years, I don't tend to buy any of the small things, I have everything I need.

The small show about 200Km from me folded a few years ago, with the big box stores and internet shopping, most of the vendors weren't making enough return to justify the costs.

Fortunately the local sawmill came to the rescue and hosted the show, otherwise it would have been the failure of a show that had lasted 50 or 60 years.

The best part about shows in my opinion is that it brings people together, who have a common interest. It's a chance to discuss, and learn things from others, although as my wife observes, it's a gathering of grey haired guys in plaid shirts.

To some people, the shows have outlived their usefullness, with the net there's no need to meet in groups as we can pass the knowledge on via the net.

I think that this isolation of woodworkers wil be counter productive, we are social animals, and the group meetings are more fun than staring at a monitor.

Eric is right, we need to attend the shows to keep them viable.

After all, last year Diann got me an autographed Mag Ruffman calendar after attending her seminar. I don't think that the internet could ever replace an in person Mag experience.

Regards, Rod.

The sandy wastes of Tucson, Sonora Desert, Baja Arizona, USA
    Lousy promotion has a lot to do w/ my not going - I checked back w/ their website a few times, but never saw a list of vendors.

The promoter never sent out a press release, either, beyond not advertising much - if at all.

If they can't be troubled to take five minutes to do some basic promo, I'm not driving across town for it....

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    I got a card in the mail about The Woodworking Show coming to Denver. I think it's in February. I'd like to make the trip. But if I see an Oxy-Clean booth, I'm not going back.
    Pat, the Woodworking Show in Denver is THIS weekend, Friday through Sunday, at the merchandise mart. http://www.woodworkingshows.com/

LOML and I were considering going, but with snow in our mountains this morning and prospects of nasty weather, we're going to Phoenix to see the daughters instead.

I'd rather be warm than cold.
    Last edited by Nancy Laird; 11-11-2008 at 9:03 AM. Reason: Spelling!
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

I have been a supporter of The Woodworking Show in the Phoenix area for many years. I started going when it was held at the Fairgrounds, then it left for a year or two, then it switched to Westworld (Scottsdale) for several years, and this year it was in Tucson.

I emailed the Show folks when I learned it was going to be held in Tucson, and was told that Tucson is "very close to Phoenix", which is not true. The Show ownership changed last year, and they had some sort of unhappiness with the Westworld location. Holding the Show in Tucson obviously would attract a much smaller number of people than it would attract in Phoenix/Scottsdale, simply because of the relative size of the two metro areas.

These are difficult economic times. If the Show has decided not to return to Arizona, they should look in the mirror to figure out why they cannot make it here. Promotion of the Show has always been poor. The price of wood in Arizona has nothing to do with it. Last year, as well as this year, the vendor list was small. There have been years when there were lots of vendors and lots of people attending the Show and spending money. The greater the variety of vendors and activities, the larger the turnout. I'm sorry to see the Show go.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

From an exhibitor

I used to love doing shows but it just got too horribly expensive. A 3 day show can cost $7,000 - $10,000 if I do it with my staff. The shows rarely paid for themselves in direct sales but the exposure was good plus it was fun meeting people.

Now, as several of you mentioned, you buy off the Internet. Fine woodworking thinks that just about 100% of people who get the magazine and who go to shows use the Internet.

For the cost of one show I can set up a good sized web store and sell items at big discounts. Besides my own products and custom tools I can also afford to offer big names and pass on whatever discounts the manufacturer gives me. It is just that much cheaper to do business on the Internet.

Tom
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.