Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stainless vectoring

stainless vectoring

What kind of laser would you need to cut this stainless pendant? I know my 30 watt Co2 won't do it. Is this done with a Yag setup or a high wattage unit (Kern...)?

For short runs, it would seem farming out the job is the way to go. For mega production can anyone ballpark a price for an appropriate laser.

The stainless is app 3/32" thick.

Thanks for any info!

Helen
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contact Kern Lasers they have a metal cutting setup. Also might be able to get you in contact with one of their customers that does job shop work.

Neal

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Cast View Post
    What kind of laser would you need to cut this stainless pendant?

Hi Helen,

A 3000+ Watt CO2 or Nd-Yag, but you would be talking big bucks, 6 figures.

Unless you are talking of say half a million of the critters, then farm them out.

Word of warning from personal experience. Stainless does not cut clean unless there is an abundance of power and good gas assist, preferably Nitrogen.

Several years back I got a 1000 parts cut from 1/16" stianless by a company in Phoneix and they were terrible as it was approaching the limit of the laser. I then dealt with a company in Bakersfield, MetalTek I think it was and they tumble deburred everything before shipping.

If you farm them out, get say 10 or so samples of the parts cut before OK-ing the run. Make sure what you eventually get is what they sent as samples.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

stainless cutting

Helen
    If I were to do those items I would use a small cnc milling machine.
    I've cut stainless its a little slower but the cut is clean.

ken
    Epilog Laser, CNC equipment, Corel X3 & 4, Aspire

I have a local shop that uses a 2,000 watt laser with nitrogen and they have done stainless up to 1/8" thick. There a always a few with a little glitch where they punch through but most of them are virtually perfect.

Gary

Look for a local waterjet shop. They can do them easily and stack the sheets for faster/cheaper cutting up 4"-6" thick at a time if needed.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Harper View Post
    Look for a local waterjet shop. They can do them easily and stack the sheets for faster/cheaper cutting up 4"-6" thick at a time if needed.

Hands down - Water Jet - much better and faster than laser. Plus it's a one stop process (no de-burring, tumbling...)

Hey, I just hit 500 messages!! Yipppeee!!!

Bruce

Yep, Bruce is right, the toy that I want, by far the most impressive piece of kit that can be bought. Best finish is going to be with the waterjet. IMHO (which I am entitled to have). I am hoping that if he should ever decide croak he is going to will it to me.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    I have a local shop that uses a 2,000 watt laser with nitrogen and they have done stainless up to 1/8" thick. There a always a few with a little glitch where they punch through but most of them are virtually perfect.
    Gary, I suspect the 2000W is exactly what I am talking about. I will never get stainless laser cut again unless I am sure the power is way mor4 than suggested.

When I am paying 5 bucks a piece I do not want "virtually perfect." I want all perfect.

The guys are correct that a water jet is better but they were charging almost 3-times more per piece than laser.

I did get some EDM and they were good finish and a reasonable price just slower delivery.
    Dave J

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Hertzog View Post
    If I were to do those items I would use a small cnc milling machine.
    I've cut stainless its a little slower but the cut is clean.
    Hi Kenneth,

A CNC would be very slow as you would need to use tiny cutters to get into some of those sharp corners. I actually have a bunch of CNC metalworking machines that I take jobbing work for, but I would not be lining up to do those parts.

Ignoring the sharp corners for a moment, the single biggest problem with CNC machining is holding the parts and they would be a bear to do.
    Dave J

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corker View Post
    Yep, Bruce is right, the toy that I want, by far the most impressive piece of kit that can be bought. Best finish is going to be with the waterjet. IMHO (which I am entitled to have). I am hoping that if he should ever decide croak he is going to will it to me.
    Who's croaking?
    Jack

Are you sure those aren't die-punched? Something that thin could be punched by the thousands with a punching machine. Some machine shops might be able to do it for you quickly with the right equipment. I'm sure they'll charge you the die fee - quite hefty last time I checked.
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

The cutout is quite smooth, no burr or file marks so I did not think die cutting was used.

Water jet appears to be a viable solution. Can anybody share info regarding cost comparison between WJ and laser cutting. I am certain that farming the job(s) out is the way to go since the investment in WJ equipment is not presently in the budget.

Any details about WJ cutting that you may have learned the hard way is much appreciated. I'm still busy soaking up all the great laser info on the CREEK and would rather not start from scratch with WJ concepts.

Many thanks to you all on this incredible forum!

Helen

Could those be done with a CNC plasma cutter? Like a Torchmate or PlasmaCam? Those systems seem pretty reasonable.
    Scott Challoner
    30W LaserPro Spirit (Need more power)
    30W Wisely Fiber Galvo

Hidden Costs

Helen-

Just a word of advice when looking for this system. Not only should you be concerned about the cost of the equipment itself, but the cost to run it(electricity, other consumables), maintenance costs, setup costs, etc.

Depending on how many pieces of stainless you need cut in a year will probably determine if you job it out or purchase a piece of machinery to cut them yourselves.

If you are strictly cutting stainless of that thickness and you are not engraving, etching, or cutting other materials then a waterjet or plasma cutter may be the way to go. A plasma might not give you the detail that you wanted in the photo I seen. But I am not certain so I would check it out.

Good Luck!

Derek Kern
    President
    Kern Laser Systems