Thread: Info on my Stanley #3

Info on my Stanley #3

I'm a recent convert to antique hand tools, and now have a bit of an addiction to buying them. I just got a #3 Stanley/Bailey off of ebay, and am curious about its age. I think it is probably 1940's-ish, but would love to know for sure.

If anyone knows its age, I'd sure appreciate any info you can provide.

By the way, it is a joy to use.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The site won't let me post the picture any larger...

The iron says Stanely, New Britain, Conn, USA in a triangular arrangement.

Looks like a Type 11 to me. The blade certainly is.

c.a. 1910-1918. My favorites are that type, just before the knob went tall, altho yours seems to have a tall knob (type 12). Who knows back in the day Stanley probably used what was on inventory.

I would not place this plane after 1924.

Google "plane dating" and use that first page to date your plane.

/p

I have a Type Study page at my website

www.rexmill.com >Planes 101> Type Study

Looks like a T11
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Looks like it is a type 11. Thanks guys.

It amazes me that something over 90 years old can work so perfectly. I gave $44 for it, and am pretty happy about that!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Wingert View Post
    Looks like it is a type 11. Thanks guys.

It amazes me that something over 90 years old can work so perfectly. I gave $44 for it, and am pretty happy about that!
    Aaron,

Welcome to the slippery slope. A few of my planes are from the late 1880's- early 1890's, type 6, and work fantastic. It is difficult for me to pass up planes and chisels at yard sales and such even though I do not need them. If they are in bad shape, I do not bite. If they are good, then it is a retirement investment. Yeah, that's the ticket.

jim

7. Some Type 11s have high knobs, I've got at least one, and have seen many others.

RN

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Aaron,
    Welcome to the slippery slope.
    A friend stood in my garage the other day and called me a tool addict. Accused...Guilty!

Nice plane....enjoy!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

"It amazes me that something over 90 years old can work so perfectly. I gave $44 for it, and am pretty happy about that!"

Your plane was manufactured in the time frame where handplanes were an absolute requirement in the shop and on the job site It was well before machine tools became very cheap (relative to everything else) and well before craftsmen (craftspeople?) forgot that machines can't do what a handplane can, and consumers stopped caring about quality in how their furniture and the woodwork in their home was put together. It's pretty likely that your plane was well-tuned by at least the first owner, if not the second, and once they're tuned they stay that way unless stored in a barn or a shed.

Enjoy - assuming that it has no chips to the totes, that plane is worth about $100 at one of the big tool meets, you got a very good deal.