Thread: Tray finished....well maybe???

Tray finished....well maybe???

I did a bit more sanding on my recent tray and applied the first coat of Tried and True. I hand rubbed it down to the 3M white pad which contains no abrasive. At that point it takes on a sheen even before oil is applied.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Outstanding Mark.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Lookin' good, Mark! Man, that quarter sawn really jumps out at 'ya with that piece! I also can't help but be a bit envious of the background....As in, I see BLUE sky! 'Round here, we've had rain on and off all day. The forecast for tomorrow, Monday and, at least through Tuesday is MORE of the same! Grrrrrrr.....
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Awesome, Mark!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mark, I've come back to look at this several times now... a very special piece. Thanks for sharing.
    bob

Mark, are those Wenge feet? I like this very simple, but oh so elegant! Did you progress from red, to gray, to the white 3m pads or go from paper? Again, very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Kelly
    Mark, are those Wenge feet? I like this very simple, but oh so elegant! Did you progress from red, to gray, to the white 3m pads or go from paper? Again, very nice.
    Earl,
    The legs are Wenge. After the tray was routed with a bowl bit...many passes!
    I sanded it by ROS starting with 80 Grit and moving to about 240. At the same time I used sandpaper wrapped on a dowel and other fids to do the contour sanding. Then I used the grey 3M and then the white as I moved up to 400Grit on the flat sides. I think the white is even finer than 400 Grit.
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 05-30-2004 at 4:39 PM.

I was wondering if you routed out to get the back lip or not, now I know. Must have taken a while to cut all of that out!! I would have probably short cut it by cutting the back edge off, then slicing the flat down close to where I needed it then glue the back edge back on and finish routing from there. I really like your style, it reminds me of George Nakashima, only without the natural edges.

First rate work. Wonderful.....
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree

That is beautiful Mark!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Kelly
    I was wondering if you routed out to get the back lip or not, now I know. Must have taken a while to cut all of that out!! I would have probably short cut it by cutting the back edge off, then slicing the flat down close to where I needed it then glue the back edge back on and finish routing from there. I really like your style, it reminds me of George Nakashima, only without the natural edges.
    Earl,
    The beauty of this design is to see the continuous grain flow up and through the lips and edges...this really should not be interupted. It is also easier to plough out the center by making passes over the router table...raising the bit and moving the fence. Each setup yeilds 2 runs since you can flip the board around.
    I have made many of these changing each design a bit. Here is another you can look at that I posted earlier this year.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ght=zebra+tray
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 05-30-2004 at 5:01 PM.

That's just beautiful Mark. I was wondering, when I look at the pictures it looks like it's about 10' long. Just what are the dimensions?

DK

Mark,

The tray looks to have an Asian influence, is it intended as a serving tray for something like sushi?

If not what is the intended use, or is it purely decorative?

Thanks,

Mac