Thread: Display Coffee table design

Display Coffee table design

I am kinda new to the Design forum and have been enjoying the post. I am looking for a Display type coffee table design

I have promised the wife a coffee table.
    She has a pretty good collection of sea shells and wants a coffee table with the top drawer open to viewing under a glass top.
    Don't think I am lazy. I have done some searching and came up with some table designs that could be modified to have a viewing drawer but thought I would tap the Creek for a turn key solution.
    img62.jpg
    This is the style I have in mind but am open to any and all ideas & links. I just can't seem to find what I am looking for and lack the experience to design my own.

Thanks,
    Colin
    Last edited by Colin Wollerman; 11-11-2008 at 7:32 PM.

Colin,
    I've seen some beautiful versions of the glasstop/display coffee tables in these forums overthe years. A good set of search words seems to be the key. That said, my preference in these coffee tables is to have a fixed shelf under the glass with any doors/drawers underneath. That way, you don't stare at the drawer hardware through the glass and a fixed shelf can be finished a bit nicer than a drawer box

Thanx

Good advice. I searched a bit this PM. I did not find what I was looking for but did find some useful information. One example; If you spill something on your,map table in this case, where will the spill go? seems obvious but I would not have thought of it.
    Maybe it is time I learned sketchup. sigh. more time I don't have but designing it is starting to appeal to me.
    The Design forum is inspiring.
    C

4. I can't speak from experience, but I want to build something similar myself. I do know, that it's important to design it in such a way so when (not if) something liquid is spilled onto the glass top, it won't run off the edge into a wooden frame. The bummer is that I've always though the glass top framed with wood looked the best. However you DO NOT want wet/sticky stuff soaking into your frame.

I don't have the "best" solution for this, but I'm think when I do get around to building mine, I'll end up having my glass drilled and use a metal post system to to the wood base.

Good luck!

Close

Ok, This is close,
    128538 Table.jpg

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...&FamilyID=6831

Only I want three drawers, they don't need to be as deep as these.
    plans show 38" x 24" I was wanting square...
    Also, may need simi matching end tables (one drawer)
    Advise please;
    Buy plans and tweak them (only 10 bux)
    or
    Use picture and generate my own plan.

This design is pretty basic. What would you fellas do to "dress it up" a bit
    I will start;
    The drawer pulls gotta go!

I have built more complex projects without plans but they went slow and could have turned out better.
    Still open to other designs if ya got em.
    Thanks in advance
    C
    Last edited by Colin Wollerman; 11-12-2008 at 12:19 PM.

No drawers

Here's one I made for my MIL a few years ago who also wanted to display her seashells. No drawers, however. The glass top can be removed to change the display. I remember having to do a lot of searching also. Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bill,
    I came across that design. Doesn't really work with our living room but your's looks great! I like the beveled glass. Nice display too.
    Thanks for sharing.
    C

8. I think you guys can see what I'm referring to in these two posted pictures. If something is spilled on the glass, the liquid will run to the edge, and down into whatever you're displaying and the wood.

When I build this, I plan to have my glass top extend beyond all the wood underneath.

Charley,
    I am anxious to see what you come up with. The full glass top designs I came across, the display was open on the sides.

We live in Hawaii and the windows are open year round (no AC) and one off the issues is dust.
    Sherry is always having to wash her shell collection.

Spills are a consideration though...guess I could go with same design and run the glass to the edge
    ?hmm?
    Would this make the piece look unbalanced?, "Top heavy"
    I wish I knew SketchUp
    C

10. Ah, the joys of design and engineering.

I wish I'd have the time to throw together a sketchup for you, but I don't and don't foresee tackling this project in the very near future. I just wanted to throw another thought to consider your way.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Preston View Post
    I think you guys can see what I'm referring to in these two posted pictures. If something is spilled on the glass, the liquid will run to the edge, and down into whatever you're displaying and the wood.

When I build this, I plan to have my glass top extend beyond all the wood underneath.

I understand the point of the full glass top (spills and such). This could be adapted for his design. You need to get tempered? glass, like is used in dining tables though.

Collin, I would just take what you have, figure out the size, then draw up several different designs. After doing that (or showing all of the found examples) submit them to the boss (wife), as this is for her, let her be the final say (she may have some different idea's then you, follow hers, and she maybe happy to let you get your tools).

Thanks Charley,
    If I get to mine first I will be sure to share final draft for review.

Thanks for coming over Randal. Fine advice. I guess I am being lazy. I was hoping for an off the shelf design but a custom will probably be more rewarding anyway.
    I may or may not spend the $10 on the "close" plans. Looks pretty straight forward though. might be better off starting from scratch.
    I use Visio for 2D drawings. When I get a chance I will draw up some ideas.
    Maybe for a suggested donation Dik will do a 3D rendering
    C

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wollerman View Post
    Thanks Charley,
    If I get to mine first I will be sure to share final draft for review.

Thanks for coming over Randal. Fine advice. I guess I am being lazy. I was hoping for an off the shelf design but a custom will probably be more rewarding anyway.
    I may or may not spend the $10 on the "close" plans. Looks pretty straight forward though. might be better off starting from scratch.
    I use Visio for 2D drawings. When I get a chance I will draw up some ideas.
    Maybe for a suggested donation Dik will do a 3D rendering
    C
    If you have an idea, you can explain in detail, he might. But I would also strongly recommend asking him what was the name of the book he recommended for learning sketchup (giving a fish, verses teaching a man to fish).

I was kidding about getting Dik to draw for me. I would PM him if i wasn't.
    I had downloaded the free SketchUp and was picking it up pretty quick but now it is locking up on me an I have not got around to trouble shooting it.
    I do pretty good with visio and I like good ol graph paper too.
    Posting has got my mind working on it. That's half the battle

The wife wants oak so it will match the Armoire I built her.
    If there is one thing that project taught me is that I don't care much for oak. 'sigh' I was wanting sapele or some kind of mahogany.
    Thanks for reminding me it was her decision
    C