Thread: Older table saw question

Older table saw question

I'm looking at selling my newer model craftsman tablesaw and buying an older model that has more cast iron in it. Right now on craigslist there is an older delta and an older craftsman.

My question, and maybe someone will know. Will these take a full width dado set? My current saw will only dado up to 1/2" which can get really annoying.
    Picture of Delta Tablesaw in case that helps? I haven't been able to get model numbers yet to check online someplace.

I have one of the older 113.xxx Craftsman contractors saw. It has plenty of power for my 8 inch dado set but I have never made dadoes deeper than about 1/2 inch. If I go to 3/4 inch wide dadoes the arbor nut is very close to the arbor end. All the threads are engaged but still causes some trepidation.

Blog Entries
    I have owned older 2 craftsman contractor saws and I ran dados on both of them. They can accomodate a full dado set. Plenty of power, if fact I just ran rock hard cherry through a shaper blade on my saw. Both of these machines are from the 1980s. I agree older is the way to go.
    The nice thing about older craftsmen saws is that usually you can find someone who wants to get rid of the saw (both of my saws were given to me with all the accesories), the saws have power, and there are many around with large cast iron tops.
    The bad thing is that the stands and fences are rinky dink and need upgrading.

Justin,

The Delta contractor's saw looks just like mine, except for the placement of the power switch. My saw will accept a 3/4 inch dado stack.

Russ

Yes, the model Delta Contractor Saw will accept a 13/16" stack dado. It won't be able to use a "Dial A Width" Freud adustable dado for more than slightly under 3/4" dados.
    Howie.........