Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Cabinet Saw with 3ph power...

Delta Cabinet Saw with 3ph power...

I saw in the local news paper a Delta Cabinet saw but it has 3ph power.

Delta 10" cabinet saw, 240 volt,3 ph., 3hp. With roto ph. to run from single ph. power source.

The guy is only asking $300 but I really don't know much about 3ph power and if the roto ph. will be sufficient to run the saw with decent power. Also is this something that could be dangerous at all to set up? I gather I would have to run a dedicated line to the saw but don't know how much money I would have to sink in to really get it going. If I have to dump a lot more in I would rather wait around for a single phase saw. The guy does not have any pictures that he can send but he did say that the top is in good condition. I have a half-way decent jet fence so I could use that but eventually I would like to upgrade to a bies or bies clone so that would be extra in the future.

It would be nice to just get a cabinet saw with a nice fence and be done with it in one cool swoop but I don't want to pass up on a good deal if there is one in front of me.

Right now I have an old craftsman TS with a cast iron top but the motor is dying and the belt goes shooting out of the back of the saw every so often.

Greg

I have a rotory phase converter that someone made for me. I use it to power: metal lathe, milling machine, 2 bandsaws, drill press & a unisaw. I only run one machine at a time, but you can run multiple machines at once, each up to the starting capacity of the converter, as long as you start them one at a time. There is a limit to how much you can run at once, but I haven't worried about it since I only run one at a time.
    3 phase motors tend to run smoother and have more available power (torque?) for their power rating. And the machines tend to be cheaper because many people are put off by 3 phase. About the only drawback to me is that I have to start the converter before I can start the machine...minor problem!

A saw described as a "Delta Cabinet Saw" does not provide much information. And the fact that it has a 3 phase motor is odd because a "cabinet saw" typically would not have a 3 phase motor. Not unless it was a Unisaw in which case the price would almost have to be a misprint!. A rotary phase converter could easily be worth three bills just by itself but you need to provide some model numbers to get any really useful advice about this.
    David DeCristoforo

David,
    I thought that most industrial unisaws had 3ph power. I am probably wrong but that is what i have seen a lot of on the auction site, CL etc.....I have asked for more information on the model number. Hopefully I can get some more info before I go take a look at it.
    Greg

$300 for a unisaw and an RPC? Are you kidding? I would snap that
    up immediately! If 3 phase scares you, you could always swap out
    the motor for single phase and sell the RPC.

Martin

"I thought that most industrial unisaws had 3ph power...."

Many do, especially larger machines with blades over 12" and motors over 5hp. But these are nor typically referred to as "cabinet saws". If your seller is offering an "industrial" (large, powerful, lots of cast iron, etc.) machine plus a phase converter for $300, like I said, that's gotta be a misprint! Unless there is some serious condition issue not mentioned in the ad.
    David DeCristoforo

thanks for the insight. I am hoping he can get back to me with a model number before I trek an hour each way to look at the saw. as they say Life Goes On.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin King View Post
    $300 for a unisaw and an RPC? Are you kidding? I would snap that
    up immediately! If 3 phase scares you, you could always swap out
    the motor for single phase and sell the RPC.

Martin

Concur. If it does include a working RPC, then its a deal. Many of the older Unisaws came with 3 phase motors, I have one now sitting in my shed for sale. If its an old saw, it may have the bullet style motor on it and those are tough to find replacements for in single phase. If you can get a picture and it has a cast iron bottom plinth on the base, then for sure its a keeper.

little off here, but just wanted to say i watched a 3 phase uni sell last week at an auction for $125, I wished i had somwhere to put it. Guy sure got one hell of a deal

I have 2 unisaws that are both 3 phase, 2 HP, a '54 & a '66. They both have the oval motor opening & cast iron plinth. I'm going through the '66 right now...clean up, bearings & a little paint. It was in good shape & probably didn't need bearings, but they are pretty easy to change anyway. It was well maintained by an industrial shop.
    The '54 definately needs bearings. I intend to give it a complete restore when time permits, in the mean time I'll use the '66.
    I paid $400 for the '66 & about $250 for the '54 (it was part of a package deal).
    I have seen/heard of unisaws going for $50 on up. $150 - $300 would be pretty normal for 3 phase Uni. Of course everything depends on condition!
    There are real bargains to be had!

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

Just buy a new motor

that is single phase.
    I had done that with other equipment.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Hi Greg,
    I was recently hunting for a TS for restoration and the 3 phase power seems to come up alot in those hunts. I'd rather swap out motors than fart around with a phase convertor. You can also get frequency drives that take in single phase and put out three phase.
    Here's what I got for pricing on some replacement single phase motors:
    3 hp
    3600 rpm
    56 frame
    TEFC
    115/208-230 volt; single phase

Cost………$290

5 hp
    3600 rpm
    56 frame
    TEFC
    208-230 volt; single phase

Cost………$300

With a RPC included in the deal to run the "Delta" cabinet saw, WHY spend $300 on one new motor? Spend your hard earned bucks to install a 50amp breaker for your new RPC, and some 10-4 extension cable to your 3ph saw.

But its a free country and fear of 3 phase keeps their prices dirt cheap. Personally I have a shop full of 3 ph commercial bargains which run great on my RPC bargain!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

If it's a uni saw then the motor mount is a proprietary mount like this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA102_.jpg

They are not cheap, a 3hp will cost in the neighborhood of $475, a 4hp will set you back around $500. Replacement with a single phase motor would be my last resort.

If the RPC is safe then it would be the best option as it's free. A an alternative a 3hp VFD is around $185.

http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/it....f?category=32

Mike

an hour drive each way to look at it? heck I'd already be in the van and on the way. I'd probably carry along some cash too. I have a 45 min drive ( or more) each way to any of my suppliers.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution