Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trim Router Advice

I have the Rigid trim router and have been very happy with it. It comes with several bases and a case. The variable speed and slow start features are nice. I think it still sells for around $100.

Thanks for all your suggestions... I spent a good deal of time today checking out the sparse selection available locally. I finally understood that I needed a router with offset base to do probably 90% of the job. A plain trim router (whether Bosch or Ridgid or Festool or Harbor Freight) would only do, perhaps 60%. Nobody locally had a trim router with offset base in stock.

First describing the problem in more detail ... an inside corner of cantilever shelves of 3/4 inch plywood, with another 3/4 in the middle, for various braces and wiring, and a 1/4 inch bottom. The bottom wasn't even with the primary shelf (oops) so the unit wouldn't fit together.

Therefore I did 30% with a regular router (guided on the primary shelf), then attacked the remaining 70% with bare hacksaw blade, Japanese saw, sandpaper, and chisels. A couple hours later it was all together. I figure that with the trim router, it would have been a few minute job, rather than miserable hours. The furniture will be delivered tomorrow.

Since the immediate problem is solved, my wife is always frantic for Christmas gift ideas, and was pleased to get the specs for the Bosch Colt Installer's kit.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lee View Post
    I have the Colt and really like it. I had the height slip problem until I read the manual (duh) that you need to twist the motor in the base which locks it into the threads of the fine adjust mechanism.

+1, especially the part about twisting the motor to engage the mechanism. BTW, I learned that trick not from the manual but from this forum. Thanks guys, I was about ready to throw out the Bosch. Now I love it and use it the most of the 7 routers I have.
    Wood'N'Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kohn View Post
    +1, especially the part about twisting the motor to engage the mechanism. BTW, I learned that trick not from the manual but from this forum. Thanks guys, I was about ready to throw out the Bosch. Now I love it and use it the most of the 7 routers I have.
    Yep. Glad I read about that issue before I bought my Colt so I didn't go through that frustration. And it's always good that this is explained in posts in which folks recommend the Colt so the new user is clued in from the get go.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    Another vote for the COLT but...

There is some new competition on the block. My one complaint about the Colt is there is no plunge or no easy/cheap way to get one. Trend makes a new trim router called the T-4 for $99 with variable speed and plunge.

As much I love my Colt, if I had to do it today I would be considering the T4. One drawback is that it is so new I am not sure you will find many folks to ask how it performs.

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...FSCcnAodLzwtYQ
    That Trend trimmer looks A LOT like a Freud that I bought a few years back. The standard base on that trimmer is NOT square and never locks effectively without a pliers, the plunge base is sloppier than a ____ in a ______. This thing makes a racket like a weasel and a mongoose in a hamster wheel with a bunch of marbles. There is a reason it is no longer sold by Freud, who is Trend? Where is that bad tools thread?

I bought a Colt a couple months back and it's LIGHT YEARS ahead of the Freud (Trend?) as far as build quality, design, engineering and ergonomics. I'll probably buy a couple more Colts to replace the other trimmers in the shop that are inferior. Haven't used the offset base yet, but it looks good, and I haven't heard anything bad about it, which you would think you would with all the glowing reports.

-kg

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Groenke View Post
    That Trend trimmer looks A LOT like a Freud that I bought a few years back. The standard base on that trimmer is NOT square and never locks effectively without a pliers, the plunge base is sloppier than a ____ in a ______. This thing makes a racket like a weasel and a mongoose in a hamster wheel with a bunch of marbles. There is a reason it is no longer sold by Freud, who is Trend? Where is that bad tools thread?

I bought a Colt a couple months back and it's LIGHT YEARS ahead of the Freud (Trend?) as far as build quality, design, engineering and ergonomics. I'll probably buy a couple more Colts to replace the other trimmers in the shop that are inferior. Haven't used the offset base yet, but it looks good, and I haven't heard anything bad about it, which you would think you would with all the glowing reports.

-kg
    Kevin,
    I am not knocking the Colt. I bought a reconditioned unit from CPO Bosch and I love that thing. Very interesting picture. You are right, it looks like the same router.
    I just saw the first advertisement in a WW magazine recently. Trend (I think) is the same company that makes those high quality face shields for turners/WWs. Making a face shield and a router may be a bit like saying “I am a woodworker but working on your car should be too much of a problem”.
    I will be interested to see the reviews that will inevitably start rolling in once folks realize they are touting to have the only trim router with a standard plunge base. As I have said I wish there was one available from Bosch. There is one retro out there but it costs as much a the router itself!
    If this T4 is a POS, someone will write more about it soon.

Anyone Creekers out there have one yet???
    Last edited by Dewey Torres; 11-14-2008 at 1:42 AM.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kohn View Post
    was just about to post the same thing . i have a colt and figured that out as well. my helper actually pointed the gear thing out to me, as i was about to toss mine too, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dunn jr View Post
    I have the Rigid trim router and have been very happy with it. It comes with several bases and a case. The variable speed and slow start features are nice. I think it still sells for around $100.
    +1 to the Ridgid. I have two, one for freehand work and the other "permanently" attached to a circle cutting jig. The only thing I'd like to see added is an offset base.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    I just happened to get a discount code email from CPO Bosch about 10 minutes ago so looked to see what their price for the Installer kit was
    http://bosch.cpotools.com/routers/pa...pr20evsnk.html
    $199.95
    http://www.cpotools.com/mkt/nl/nl200...nl20081106HTML
    $15 off orders over $150

Dont know how competitive that price is though.
    Amazon with free shipping was cheaper than CPO Bosch with the sale and coupons. (it appears we are on the same junk mail list - my discount code arrived at the same time)

After Christmas, when I presume I will get the Colt, I may need to get additional units from Harbor Freight so I can be like Norm Abrams - have you ever seen him change a router bit?

A while ago I needed to rout close to an inside corner, and I rigged up a "homemade" router using a $10 H.F. die grinder. Since the die grinder has a small diameter you can get very close to a corner.