Thread: Sassafras?

Sassafras?

I have never worked with Sassafras before, but there is a guy locally (Seattle, WA) on CL that is selling some for ~3/BF, is this a good deal and what are your thoughts on this wood?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mat/912088318.html

Thanks, Brian
    Last edited by Brian Tax; 11-13-2008 at 11:47 AM.

Fun wood to work with, smells great when milled. I will use it sometimes in place of poplar. I give $1.30/bf, @ $3/bf I would use something else but this could just be a regional thing.
    I do it right, cause I do it twice.

I once knew a feller who built boats for Lake Michigan salmon fishing and he used mass quantities of Sassafras in the hulls. Perhaps that's why it's fetching $3 b/f or maybe it's because Sassafras rarely lives long enough to be big enough to saw into lumber.
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

I just built an Adirondack chair out of it...

Rick is right, it has an amazing smell when you work with it. Sweet, kinda like root beer, sometimes pungent with a hint of licorice.

I would highly recommend it, simply for it's unique aroma.

The wood itself is light and rather soft, like pine and machines easily. Dings easily as well.

I believe I paid around 2.00b/f for it.

I used it for some raised panel doors. Easy to work with, nice color and grain. Paid aprox. $2.25/bf.

Sassafras has long been a popular substitute for oak. It's darker and has more brownish/green hue to it. The grain is contrasting much like oak, and is more fun say than "oak"....it's especially fun to hear a 7 year old who's missing their front teeth say. It seems to splinter a bit more than oak, but I'm sure that depends a lot on the moisture content. $3 isn't overly cheap but it's not bad...price is a geographical thing.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....