Thread: kreg corner clamp

kreg corner clamp

anyone try one of these yet? if it works really well, i might just skip stapling before screwing my cabinets together although i'm somewhat skeptical... i just noticed this on their website:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did you see a price? Seems to me, that is too expensive (and I don't know the price yet), since it appears, it will only do outside corners.

I played with them at the Tucson Woodworking show. They are faster to use than my Bessey corner clamps. If it wasn't a slow year I would have bought a pair just because. It seems to me they were over $30 which would make them more expensive than what I payed for the Bessey's. I already have a pair of the right angle clamps that work fine on longer panels like cabinet carcasses but because they tie up a hole don't work that well on shallow drawers.
    Scott
    Scott's Sharpening Service
    Glendale, AZ

just ordered a pair from mcfeely's, guys. will report back once they arrive!

guys, these clamps work great! they're so much less clunkier and expensive than the firmus clamps, much easier to adjust than the bessey corner clamps and definitely faster than the rockler clamp-it jig. i especially love kreg's foresight in making the tips of the clamp L-shaped so that you can drill the first screw close to the edge of the case side - many other clamps prevent you from accomplishing this. you can also clamp inner shelves or dividers as well. hopefully this will obviate the need to tack the pieces together with a pneumatic stapler or pin nailer making the process of cabinetmaking slightly faster.

Frank, thanks for the reveiw. I've yet to get anything from Kreg, that I didn't like.

Frank, I just saw these clamps in a catalog yesterday and thought they were very interesting. How well do they hold position as you close them? For instance on a partition or shelf would you be able to clamp to a line easily?

TIA, Bill

bill, as long as the cabinet parts are equal thickness, there should be no problem clamping intermediate shelves to a line as you mentioned as the pressure the clamps exert is quite formidable. i kid you not: these are the BEST corner clamps i have encountered thus far and it's right in time for christmas!!! hohoho...

They don't tend to creep?

Good. I'll get my letter to Santa ready.

Thanks, Bill

Frank, Good for picture framing? If so what would the maximum width be for the frame? Thanks for the input.

bill, you still have to align the edges slightly before clamping down otherwise the parts will creep slightly. john, it would have to be a narrow picture frame - i think the max capacity is 1 1/2". i never thought of using it that way but i suppose it would definitely work if you were clamping up a box with mitered corners although you'd probably need four of them in that case (pun intended).

WARNING: Dead thread walking!

Will this clamp be easy to use with their pocket hole system? IOW, could I use this to clamp two boards together to build a simple box?
    BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.

michael, i think these clamps were intentionally designed to make pocket screw joinery much easier. yes, you will be able to build boxes very easily.