Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Weekend Doin's"

Smile "Weekend Doin's"

Friday November 14, 2008

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!

Here it is the middle of November already. Tomorrow, the 15th, LOML and I celebrate 28 years of "Wedded Bliss". It hasn't always been a smooth road, but we are ready give it a go for another year. A nice dinner at one of the restaurants in our area will mark the occasion.

It's been a mild week, weather wise, although they say we're in for a change over the weekend. Some snow possible. Well, it is almost Thanksgiving.

I don't think there'll be any activities in the shop for me this weekend due to the above reasons. Sunday will be watching the "Da Bears" take on the Pack at Lambeau. Also, watch the last Nascar race of the season at Homestead.

What's on your agenda for the weekend? Whatever it may be I hope it will be productive and/or enjoyable.

BE SAFE!!!

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Hi Karl,
    Congrats on the 28th!
    The weekend will not contain any shop time and I'm actually quite happy about that. It's deer season in less than 24 hours.

Happy Anniversary Mr. & Mrs. Karl!

I've got more turning to do this weekend. Christmas presents for here and abroad!

If things go well, try to turn something besides pens.......just to get Steve for MI, Mike from TX and a few others off my back!

Will probably have to do some yard work. Our few diciduouos trees have dropped their leaves. The neighbors maple tree, however, is hanging on.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 11-15-2008 at 10:18 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Dude,
    Congrats. 28 is a lot.
    In the big city for a few days of shopping and .....visiting the sick.
    A bunch of folks are laid up, some for their last go round so I thought I better get here.
    Going to gather with the family for a pre holiday food and fun.
    Picking up some suppies for my creeker bud, Rick Schubert.
    and then back to my place in the woods away from this wild insanity.
    Have a safe one
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

More work on the dresser project. I'll be taking a bit of time out from that project to build a face frame for a vanity project I'm also working on.

Congratulations Karl. May you have many more years together.

This is the last weekend for NASCAR so I know what I'll be doing.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Congratulations on the anniversary to you and your wife, Karl. May y'all have many many more together.

Start the night shift tonight so no shop time this weekend. Did work on some cutting boards for Christmas gifts yesterday. Will finish them up after the night shift.

Bobby
    Louisiana

Major horsie weekend with lessons today and a show tomorrow, but I plan on being in the shop for part of the time installing the buck transformer that arrived yesterday...I have a high-voltage issue that is shutting down my slider. Many of Euro machines have voltage limiting circuitry that protects them from over voltage situations, but they tend to be set to trip at about 243v. My voltage is running at 244-245v which the power company considers normal and within the +/- 6 volts they are allowed and that's shutting the machine down. (I'm not the only one "out there" who has this issue...) Once I'm back up and running, I have a whole list of things to do, including getting the glass in the wet bar doors finally and some frames for cloth art that needs hung in the house now that the addition is completed.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For me its playing with the new shop toys, also still working on the lathe issue but Im not going to be spending alot of time on it now that I have other toys to play with.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I will be routing some circles for a 24" Dobsonian telescope that I am building. The circles are for the upper cage assembly (this is a truss tube design). These will be test circles (so I am not using the cabinet grade just yet!) that I will use for the scope until after the bottom is finished (the rocker box and mirror box).

I will basically follow the Kriege design with a few minor changes. I will be cutting 3 circles since this is a bigger aperture. I was helping a friend disassemble his 25" scope a couple of weeks ago at the Eldorado Star Party. That experience pretty much put me over the edge in deciding whether to make the 3rd ring or not (I will just have to add a bit of counter balance on the bottom end).

Congrats Karl!

It'll be the Denver Woodworking show for me!!

Making a run of pistol cases. This one is made of wenge.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ha! - This weekend (and all next week) will be finally completing this blasted bench I've been messing with for 3 weeks. Just goes to show what can happen when you read too many WW mag articles and books on bench building - suddenly your perfectly adequate bench you built 7 years ago seems hopelessly ill-thought-out and inefficient.

David,
    You are doing something I have long wanted to do. I hope you will take some pictures and let us follow the progress of your Doby!!

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

Yesterday Afternoon.

If yesterday afternoon indicated the start of the weekend, the rest of this weekend is running true to form.
    No woodworking, just working.
    I need to get a life.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville