Thread: Advise 8" jointer

Advise 8" jointer

Hi all,

I've been looking for an 8" jointer for some time, but as with most of us funds are an issue. I just saw this on my local craigslist:

http://slo.craigslist.org/tls/917651684.html

I've emailed the guy and asked for make and model info. But any opinions as to whether this is a good deal or not? If I do buy it do you think it will be easy enough to tune up?

Thanks

Ian

Old Jet stuff was blue, but it looks a lot like the fence adjustment setup on a Grizzly I used to have. Can't make out the color for sure...

Once you determine the brand, see if you can get parts. I'd only be concerned about that if it is some off-brand import. Otherwise there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get parts and get it working. Personally, I'd lowball the guy! :-)
    Last edited by Aaron Wingert; 11-14-2008 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks Aaron,

Depending on what he comes back with on maek model etc I was going to go take a look with $100 in my pocket!

Hmm, looking at that base, and the table that the fence sits on looks like my Powermatic, but the fence doesn't look anything like it...

This ad makes me say "Huh?".

Seller claims that it only needs a new switch & a pulley & it'll be ready to go. Now why doesn't he just do that & then sell it for a lot more money??

Could be wrong, but something just doesn't seem right....

Looks exactly like my Jet JJ-8HH except my jointer is the current Jet white while this one looks like the old Jet blue.

7. There isn't much that can go wrong with a jointer, just make sure it has no cracks in the casting and the beds are parallel. Check the bearings too.

Reliant maybe. Take a look at this one, very similar looking

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/912926871.html

Larry, that ad say's "like new". Now isn't that funny. I could swear I saw rust in that pic. Maybe that's how the new stuff comes today.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    This ad makes me say "Huh?".

Seller claims that it only needs a new switch & a pulley & it'll be ready to go. Now why doesn't he just do that & then sell it for a lot more money??

Could be wrong, but something just doesn't seem right....

So, imagine that you're a dishonest seller and you want to unload a power tool that has something wrong with it. Maybe the motor is fried or the bearings are going bad, who knows? But if you let the potential buyer turn it on and try it out you'll never get the money you're asking for it or you may not sell it at all. So you disable the switch and/or whatever else you have to do to make it not work. It's sold, "As is" so when you finally fix it you're stuck with junk.

Or, if it's such a quick and easy fix for a pulley and a switch why not tell the guy you'll buy it from him if he will fix the machine before you buy it. You could even agree to a higher price to make up for the parts that need replacing. If it doesn't work then you don't buy it.

Or, tell the guy that since you have no way of knowing what is really wrong with it you'll give him the price for the jointer that you would pay if there was much more wrong with it. If a guy selling a used car ran it out of gas would you buy the car from him without making the guy put gas in it so you could test drive it? If he wouldn't do that then you assume that the car needs some major work and you value the car accordingly. Same thing with any power tool in my opinion.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tolchinsky View Post
    Larry, that ad say's "like new". Now isn't that funny. I could swear I saw rust in that pic. Maybe that's how the new stuff comes today.
    Now I'm tempted to mark my next item Like Used!

I cannot be held liable for the brain farts that ensue.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tolchinsky View Post
    Yeah well, you know some people are willing to pay a little extra for some faux patina at Restoration Hardware so maybe this seller is giving it a go with his jointer. Amazing what some people will post on CL and some of the descriptions.