Thread: Grizzly 1023SL Help Needed

Grizzly 1023SL Help Needed

In the spring a local cabinetmaker who I do some installation work with closed his shop. He was moving into the shop I work at a few days a week. Kinda like a guild.
    Well I was fortunate to be able to score some sweet machines for my home shop(2 car garage). His shop had 2 employees who abused machines and never cleaned or maintained anything. I was able to tune all the machines except the last one. I just started working on it. It is a grizzly 1023 table saw. Here is the problem. On start up and shut down the blade wobbles a little. At full RPM she runs perfect. I looked inside the cabinet all appears well. I gave both the motor pulley and the arbor a light tug to check for play none found. I watched it numerous times on start up and shut down without a blade and it appears the middle belt is slightly looser then the 2 outer ones. and it appears to have a little hump to it. I did not see any dry rot or cracking. However this was all just a visual look and feeling around.
    I did not take the belts off yet. However I called grizzly and had 3 new belts ordered today. This shop beat the heck out of the equipment they had, and like I said there was NO/ZERO maintenance done . Good thing they bought only great tools.
    So what do you guys think? Any other suggestions for this problem?
    thanks
    Last edited by James Reichman; 11-14-2008 at 8:03 PM.

Try it with a different blade and/or check the arbor for runout if you have a dial indicator.

Here's just 1 out of about a million "tune-up your tablesaw" links:

http://www.woodworkingonline.com/200...-perfect-cuts/

Here's another article:

http://www.ts-aligner.com/Woodshop%20News%20Article.pdf

I would check the runout on the face of the arbor first. I put Fenner Drive link belts on My 1023SL.The stock belt retained too much "memory". And would knock and bang on start up. The belts on this saw are 3L (3/8" wide) not the common 4L (1/2" wide). Also went you have the belts off check the pulleys. Make sure there tight on the arbor shaft. It's a great saw and has served me well over the 5yrs I've owned it.

My 1023 does the same thing with certain saw blades. One thing I noticed is if the belts are too tight on mine, it seems to vibrate more on shutdown.
    But, I have come to the realization that as long as it runs smooth when I'm running it I don't care if it "shivers a little" when it slows down to a stop.
    It's a biiiig mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize that you are in a hurry.