Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Five Barns 2004 Picnic Announcement!

Post Five Barns 2004 Picnic Announcement!

Greetings everyone

We are now two months out from the Third Annual Five Barns Picnic here in beautiful downtown Helffrichsville PA! This year’s picnic is scheduled for July 30 and 31. For those of you not familiar with the event, for two days each summer we here at the Grumbine household open our shop and home to any and all who have the common bond of a love for woodworking in its many forms. Woodworkers and their families come from all over the US (we’re still waiting for some of you furriners from Canada to show up) for food, fun, and fooling around in the shop. Of course, anyone from anywhere in the world is welcome, and we would truly love to meet those of you who participate from various places outside the US. There will be demonstrations of all sorts, lathes running, tools and wood to swap, and a chance to put a face and a voice with all those names you see on your computer screen. And last, but certainly not least, there will be more good food than the entire lot of us will be able to consume. This year local sawyer Jim Patterson will be bringing his Woodmizer saw along with him and will be demonstrating how to saw logs into lumber. I will be demonstrating how to fill a barn with fresh cut wood!

All you need to do to come is to write me privately and tell me of your intentions. Writing me allows me to plan for food, and it gets you on the list for directions, accommodations, and other updates. I have gotten a number of responses already, the list is growing almost daily. I will begin sending updates out privately as well as the occasional public reminder starting in a week or two. We hope that this year will be even bigger and better than preceding years, and we are looking forward to seeing a bunch of you here again. If anyone has a question about the picnic, please feel free to write me privately, or even better, post it here, so others can jump in with their answers. You can email me directly at ultradad@enter.net

Bill

Thanks Bill for the invatation! I would love to get to meet you and see your shop! someday I plan to visit that part of the country. maybe we can meet then. but my funds have run out and its a long drive from here.
    Sounds like fun ! guess I will miss out this time. Hope I can make the 4th annual
    Jim

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Sounds Great Bill, Careful when you open the door like that. You never know who might drop in.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Bill,

This sounds spectacular! I wish I could join in but July 30-31 is the last weekend of my vacation (back to work Monday, August 2) and I just don't see me getting on another plane! Have a BALL!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Hey Bill,
    Thanks for the offer , and it lands right on the last week-end of my vacation which would be perfect, but my daughter is due at that time so I had better stay on this side of the border.
    Maybe next time.
    Fred

Bill - LOML and I will be driving up from the great state of Texas. I am looking forwarding to attending my first Five Barns Picnic!
    Waymon...
    ...My heroes are not athletes, entertainers or politicians;
    ALL my heroes wear US Armed Forces uniforms...

'Glad to see you are coming up, Waymon. Maybe you can twist Mr. Burch's arm to make the trip, too. At any rate, it will be great to see you again!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am going to try to make it over. All depends on when the new addition decides to actually arrive (supposedly around July 16th). But since Bill's is really only about an hour from me, I plan to try to stop in for a short visit.

Good morning men

Waymon and Dan, we will be looking forward to seeing you here! Please send an email to ultradad@enter.net so I can get you both on the list for directions and other details.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    'Glad to see you are coming up, Waymon. Maybe you can twist Mr. Burch's arm to make the trip, too. At any rate, it will be great to see you again!
    Ditto Jim. I can't wait to see you and a lot more of the SMC'ers. So, who else is planning to attend?

Todd - Consider your arm electronically twisted, dude!

Bill - In the previous events, what was the farthest someone has traveled? My drive will be 1517 miles!
    Waymon...
    ...My heroes are not athletes, entertainers or politicians;
    ALL my heroes wear US Armed Forces uniforms...

Holy Cow, Waymon!! You are driving!!??

That is two real solid days of driving and more like 3 for the non-superheroes!

I hope you are taking a truck...you're bound to find some nice chunks of cherry for turning or milling. You'll probably come back heavier than you left...with the wood load, I mean!

I hope to see lottsa pics of everyone...avatars just don't do justice.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Waymon, I've been eyeing the calendar for this picnic more than you might think. A couple considerations are that we're (the family) driving to New Mexico around that time to see my dad, and, having to allocate 5 to 6 day for the picnic too - I just don't know if I can swing all that time away from "making a living" opportunties. (Wish my wife cared about this kind of stuff.. )

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Photos from 2003

Sorry to say I will not make the trip this year . I drove the 950 miles last year to Bill's and it took me a week to recover . I would advise everyone would can make it they should definitely go. Last year was a great event and a good time was had by all. You can see what went on there by visiting the photo gallery I generated last year.

Dang!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    Sorry to say I will not make the trip this year...
    Awww! I was hoping to have a chance to catch up with you! Oh well. I'll take plenty of pictures.
    Dominic Greco

Bill
    I will try to be there Friday, the 30th. CAn't stay for SAt. bec. of family commitments. Can't wait.
    Do you think I could bring a slab or two to have resawn beyond my 12" capacity? It is KD dry lumber.