Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jet lathe update

Jet lathe update

Well if some of you read my earlier post you knew I was having some troubles ( everything that is threaded on the spindle wobbles however the spindle itself reads true with a dial caliper) with the new 1642. I have been in contact with WMH tool group (they own Jet) and so has the dealer where I bought it. Believe it or not the only thing they have told me so far is that I need to use a nylon washer between my chuck and the spindle to make sure the chuck is completely bottomed out against the spindle shoulder. They are sending me some of these "magical" washers however I can assure you my chuck is more than bottomed out already. The length of my chuck adapter is long enough that when I thread it on without the chuck there is like a good 1/8" or so sticking out from the end. I also made sure the chuck was bottomed out on the chuck adapter too. If it wasnt bottomed out I might have hope in the so called "magical" washer but Im left feeling like this is BS myself. What possible difference could a nylon washer between the chuck and the spindle make? Anyone have any ideas? Im afraid that a replacement or return is on order here since this thing is just not right and hasnt been since I got it. *sigh*

I realized this lacked alot of information if you hadnt read my previous post on this so heres a link to the original post I made on this to bring you current.
    http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=91192
    Last edited by Jim Kountz; 09-07-2008 at 9:07 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

you could always take some of that thread sealant tape, the white stuff, and wrap the spindle till the chuck doesnt woble, it would probably wear down after a year or so, but it would work
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    you could always take some of that thread sealant tape, the white stuff, and wrap the spindle till the chuck doesnt woble, it would probably wear down after a year or so, but it would work
    Well its not wobbling as in being loose, its just not running true. Sorry, guess I could have been clearer there! The only thing I can figure is that the threads themselves were just not machined right. I know its a reach but I cant think of any other reason how something like this could be.

Arrow Wobbles need more info...

What chuck are you using? Have you tried another one. I returned a Nova chuck for another one. I was having same issue. Found out that the Nova chuck nylon plastic(nylon?) insert was not installed correctly at the factory. Have you measured the run out on the shaft without anything mounted? Tell us more...

Quote Originally Posted by Max Acbuilder View Post
    What chuck are you using? Have you tried another one. I returned a Nova chuck for another one. I was having same issue. Found out that the Nova chuck nylon plastic(nylon?) insert was not installed correctly at the factory. Have you measured the run out on the shaft without anything mounted? Tell us more...
    Ive tried a Nova G3, a Woodcraft branded chuck, a machinist 3 jaw chuck and three different faceplates one being a Oneway and two from Jet. For the Woodcraft chuck I tried two different inserts and got the same results. They all wobble on my lathe but not on others. To answer your question yes I have taken readings from every perceivable approach, (see my other post on this too, link is in my OP scroll up).

Hi Jim
    This is a new lathe, and the spindle should NOT be like that, they can either send a technician to have a look and decide then or/and exchange the lathe , this is a mayor defect, not some paint chip or sharp casting edge, you should not be given any hassle for their shortcoming, just my 2 cents.
    Have fun and take care

I couldnt agree more Leo.

Jim, I would go to your dealer, tell him what you have done with the chucks and tell him you expect at least a new headstock if not a complete new lathe and you expect it now. Period, end of report.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Jim,

I'm in the service business. I face difficult customer situations daily and have for 32 years. Often, I have customers that come unglued for some ridiculously petty reasons IMHO. The problem you are experiencing is not, however, petty. Go to the dealer, explain the situation calmly, in a matter of fact tone. Give them the symptoms....explain what you have done so far and state that you paid good money for the lathe and have a right to expect a good functioning lathe. Tell them you want a new headstock or a new lathe and you really don't care which. Do it in a calm but firm voice. Most companies and company employees want to satisfy customers. However, when a customer comes in with an emotional, angry attitude, it can turn someone who wants to satisfy you into a "this is what the contract states and this is what you are going to get" position. THis often means it will take more time and you'll get less. When customers treat me with respect and go out of their way to be nice to me in the "heat of battle"...I will go out of my way to make sure they get what they deserve and often more....My managers sometimes say I give them too much. But....they keep resigning service contracts and buying more equipment from my company.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Jim:
    Your post is frightening me to death. I should be expecting delivery this week of a new Nova 1624 and you just never know what you are gonna get.
    I agree with the advice that you have received. I would state my position with the dealer and then I would work my way up the line if not satisfied. Happy customers are important to every company.
    I will be watching and waiting for your satisfactory conclusion to this problem. Good luck.

sorry you are having a problem, i received a new jet 1642 this summer, no problems except i needed a dedicated line for just the lathe, i hope your spindle problems get solved to your satisfaction

Im not sure this will be helpful since it seems you have tried everything. But I had a similar problem with my Jet 1642. My problem was solved with a new adapter. The tech at psi explained, and I sure cant quote him, that the fit between the spindle and adapter threads had a lot of slop(my word) in it and that the chuck or adapter had to bottom out against the shoulder on the spindle (which was true) in order to get everything in alignment. When I got the new adapter I made sure every mating surface was perfect and clean. Seemed to take care of the problem.

When you put the chuck with adapater on the spindle and start to screw it in you will be able to move it side to side.. it hits the shoulder and stops moving..and if the spindle,spindle shoulder, adapter or the chuck is off just a little you have run out. A soft nylon washer is not going to take care of this problem. It will compress when you tighten the chuck against it, but if the the two surfaces that contact it are not in alignment it will compress unevenly and you will still have run out.

I think it would almost be impossible for someone with out the correct measuring instruments to tell what part of the system is out of whack. But if the spindle with a drive center in it lines up well with the tailstock you then have to look at the spindle shoulder and try to determine if it is at a perfect 90 degree angle to the spindle. Then you would have to measure the adapter and insure that it was cut correctly. Then do the same with the chuck, though if it worked ok on another lathe that should rule out a problem with it.

Im rambling. But, if I were the dealer.. I would get a couple of loaner chucks and adapters to you and see if they worked...if not, its the lathe and Jet should take it back no questions asked based on your report backed up by the dealer. Generally, Ive found Jet to be helpfull with a couple of problems Ive experienced.

Good luck!!
    South Charleston
    Ohio, USA

Sounds to me like you've isolated the problem. If you've tried various faceplates and chucks and combinations of adapters on several machines and the problem does not follow the chucks or faceplates around to the next machine, the problem is OBVIOUSLY in the spindle of your machine.

Jet should give you a new headstock or new lathe. If necessary cart the darn thing to the nearest dealer and make them look at it.

That's what I had to do to get satisfaction with my mini-lathe.

Please let us know what happens when you try the nylon washer. I am now betting that you have a small nick in the outside edge of the spindle shoulder which has raised a minute area of the shoulder surface. The plastic washer should absorb this irregularity, and your faceplate will no longer wobble.

Mechanical mysteries can be fun, unless you are the victim of the mystery. Then it's no fun, especially with $$ invested. Good luck Jim.
    Richard in Wimberley

My understanding of the nylon washers is that they are primarily to make it easier to break the chuck or faceplate free to change them after they get tighter from use...and that's what I use them for. I'm not so sure how one of these is going to correct an anomaly in the spindle threading. In theory, seating the chuck or faceplate flush on the spindle should actually provide a truer installation since it's inflexible...as long as thing are machined correctly at least. Some lathe manufacturers actually discourage the use of the nylon washers for this reason.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...