Thread: Belt sander questions

Belt sander questions

I'm a hybrid hand/power tool user with a very small shop (11 feet square). Lots of carpentry on our 115-year-old house, hopes for some furniture making soon. I have a little Bosch belt sander (the one with the inline motor) that is dying (the quick release handle is plastic, and snapped off), and am thinking about whether to buy a replacement. So, some questions:

1. Do I need one at all? I use hand planes a lot for flattening and smoothing, and I own a random orbit sander that works pretty well for smoothing duties where a plane's not workable and a power planer for rough stock reduction when I need speed. Am I missing some capacity that a hand held belt sander could provide?

2. If I do buy, I'm considering the DeWalt 432 belt sander that Woodworker.com on which Woodworker's Supply is currently offering a free sanding frame that also serves as a support to use the sander as a benchtop sander. This belt sander has had some good reviews. Does anyone have experience, positive or negative, with it?
    Last edited by Bill Houghton; 11-17-2008 at 10:56 AM. Reason: layout

#1 A sanding frame is worth it's weight in gold for using a belt sander for edge sanding! Even better if the frame can be used horzontally to add stability for sanding broad surfaces flat (without gouging)!

#2 Easily adjustable belt tracking is a huge consideration!

#3 Good dust collection is a biggie too! These little beasts generate TONS of dust in only a minute or two!!

Since I use an old Porter Cable 3x24, I still suffer along in the above ways. Plenty of power but no other amenities!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Chip has made some good points. I'll add one more: #4. Variable speed control should be an absolute requirement for any belt sander you consider. I'd also suggest that you go to your local BORG and try them out in your hand. This is especially important if there's a chance that you'll be using it on home improvement chores that require you to sand a vertical surface (those PCs are built like tanks but you'll wear yourself out if you have to sand more than a couple deck posts!). It's been a while since I bought my belt sander but I do seem to recall some DW432 reviews that complained of that the dust collection "box" was prone to falling off. Maybe DW has since addressed this problem.

Bill,

From what you say, I don't think you need one. But only you can determine that. I wouldn't buy one unless you felt the need. I have a Bosch belt sander that I use once in awhile. But I'd rather hand plane and avoid all the noise not to mention the dust. Hold off until you can't do something without it. Alan
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.