Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Router ???

Which Router ???

Hi All,
    I'm new to the woodworking hobby, with santa coming he (wife) wants to get me a router for christmas. Now for the big question which router is best for doing work along with attaching to a table. I've looked at the 2 Dewalt combos on amazom and the milwaukee combo thats on the Home Depot web site its always out of stock. Those are in my price range and seen to be of decent quality. I know to each his own but looking for some sound advice on the best pick, or comments about who has used what and what works. Thanks for all your help and time.

Chuck

Hey Chuck, I'm fairly new too but I think that you'll find that if you use either very often (table or stand alone) you'll soon realize that having two is ideal.

I recently picked up the dewalt deal w/ the plung, stand alone an d handle, it was about $260 but it's an animal. The design is very nice, changing from one to the other is super quick.

If you can only do one, you'll quickly want a plunge router so that's what I would look for...variable speed to follow.

It seems like everyone has their favorite router.

Mine is the Bosch 1617evs kits. I have two, and often wish I had a third.

I would recommend the above Bosch or the DeWalt 618 kit. I've used both and like both. Also, the Hitachi m12vs kit is a nice router at a lesser price point. The Hitachi is a bit quieter than the Bosch or DeWalt; if that matters to you.

I cannot reccoment Porter Cable routers lately. I had an 890 kit for a couple of weeks and returned it. The dang thing seemed to be getting way to hot, and I didn't like the plunge base.

My Bosch 1617 has been great. Had problems with the porter cable 890 (overheating) and poor customer service, but after replacement of the motor via a recall, it has performed well. I agree - having two is a huge time saver if you're going to free hand and use a router table.

Equally important is your choice of bits. I tried a few inexpensive ones and found them lacking. One set has a nasty habit of the tiny allen screw backing out and throwing parts everywhere. This can kill a router mounted in a table if debris falls into the motor. If you do a search of SMC on bits as well as routers, you'll find a wealth of information.

Chuck, I would sugest you check out "Pat Warners" website. Lots of great info on routers.

You're likely going to want a second router...one for hand use, one dedicated to a table. It's often best to get a big router for the table to ensure you have plenty of power to spin the big panel raising bits, but most decent 13 amp (2hp) routers will work well enough for occasional panels, and are fine for everything else. My big router is the Milwaukee 5625....that router and the PC7518 are typically the top rated of the big guns for table use, but there are several others that are good also. I tend to use the Freud FT1700 in the table the most often...not my most powerful router but it has terrific above table features that make it very condusive to table use.

Last edited by scott spencer; 11-18-2008 at 5:11 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

good value

Ridgid 2930 duel base. 2 1/4hp v.s. Had mine almost 3 years now, love it. At only $200 you might be able to talk "Santa" into a few basic bits to go with it. OH , also through table height adj. and led lights around bit. Not a 3 1/2 hp monster but I havent bogged it yet. Cuts raised pannels as long as you dont try to hog too much at once. Get better results that way anyhow.
    Last edited by jim hedgpeth; 11-18-2008 at 11:36 PM.

A list of router reviews can be found on ConsumerSearch. Most of the articles are from your usual suspects from magazines that require subscriptions.

I have popular woodworkings "Real World Router Test" from the June '07 issue and it was a tight draw between the Milwaukee 5616-24 and the Dewalt DW618B3. I ended up finding a Dewalt floor model at Home Depot for the same price as the Milwaukee ($190)
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

The multi-base 13 amp ("2.5hp") router kits are a good way to go. I have the Dewalt DW618 (with all three bases) and have been very pleased with it. But the similar configurations from the other major brands generally get good comments, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Lowes has the Dewalt PK618 (Fixed and Plunge Base) on sale for $199.00. Santa (My Wife) got me one for this Christmas when it was $219.00 - it was 45 days later that they put it on sale and wouldn't let me get the $20.00 back. Oh, well.

Will

Thanks Everybody

I hope its not getting old answering the same questions again and again. I'm looking hard at the DeWalt - DW618PKR its a 2.25hp Its a re-conditioned one for $149.00 both bases and a Milwaukee 1 3/4 In. it is 1.75hp Router Kit Model 5615-24 this one is new but out of stock at the Home Depot site for $129.00 I know that a router is something that I will need more than one in the furture but for now I'm looking to get the most for my money. Thanks for the help so far.

Chuck

Exclamation My 2 cents

I bought a freud, could not get the things I needed locally, broke down bought a PC 890, everywhere I go I can get things I need. Every router table manufaturer has a plate for it, everyone carries the template bushing for it. My suggestion is that you look very carefully to see if you can get the things you need to do the things you want prior to buying anything. I wish I had, it would have been much cheaper to have spent the time doing the research first. BTW I'm extremely happy with my PC 890

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Durst View Post
    I hope its not getting old answering the same questions again and again. I'm looking hard at the DeWalt - DW618PKR its a 2.25hp Its a re-conditioned one for $149.00 both bases and a Milwaukee 1 3/4 In. it is 1.75hp Router Kit Model 5615-24 this one is new but out of stock at the Home Depot site for $129.00 I know that a router is something that I will need more than one in the furture but for now I'm looking to get the most for my money. Thanks for the help so far.

Chuck
    Chuck - The MW 5615 is a really stout router that handles well, but note that it doesn't have variable speed, which is a must have for table use. You can add an outboard VS switch....HF sells one that goes on sale for $10-$15, MLCS, Rockler, and other WWing stores sell them too.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Although you pay a bit more because you're buying 3 bases, the DeWalt 618 3 pack is good because the D handle base excells at hand routing and you can put the other fixed base permanently in a table. You won't have to remove the base from the table whenever you want to hand route non plunge stype. As someone said above, you should know that you may very well end up needing a more powerful router for the larger bits in a table, so keep in mind that there is no one do-it-all router in the long run unless you don't end up using larger bits. Also, if you have already purchased a table and accompanying plate, you might want to see which routers will fit any predrilled holes in the plate you already have.

I like my Bosch 1617EVSPK (standard and plunge base combo). Right now using mostly in shopmade router table, and gives smooth, precise cuts. The plunge base operates very smoothly and gets top ratings as one of the best plunge bases sold as part of a combo package.