Thread: Bandsaw blade width

Bandsaw blade width

I've got a new bandsaw (Grizzly G0513X2), replacing an old piece of junk on which blade performance was the least of my worries. My question: the machine will accept a 1" wide blade. Is the maximum width blade the way to go for resawing, or would I be just as well off with a 3/4" blade such as the Highland Hardware Wood Slicer?
    Thanks, Greg

It'll take a 1" wide blade. I've got a 3/4" woodslicer right now and it does a great job. (Iturra designs sells blade made from the same stock but not called woodslicer (highland has the name tradmarked) for 26.40). If I were to go to a 1" blade it would have to be a lenox with carbide teeth and I can't afford it!! But that's the only thing I could see leaving a better finish on the cut that the woodslicer.

Greg, if you search for other posts, lots of people have said they have been successful with 1/2 blades for resawing. I would suggest staying under the 1 inch, because it is tough to manouver a 1" blade onto the machine without hitting the throat

Greg,

Barry has a good point. I am running a 1/2 3tpi Woodslicer on my G0513 and have found no reason to change to something else. The Lenox blades are way over the top for my current needs.

-Jerry

I have a TW 1" blade for my G0513x2. That thing would likely resaw limestone just fine, but it's probably overkill.

Got my 514X2 up and running last night. Blade is Woodmaster CT, which is 1". Made a few test cuts on old 2x4 material. Was able to make transparent slices. Could have gone thinner but the wood fell apart.

Highly recommended.

Burt

Burt,

I also have a Woodmaster CT from Lenox but my cuts were rougher than I liked. I will post pics soon showing the cut left from a (repaired) Trimaster, a Woodmaster CT, and a Diemaster2...all Lenox bandsaw blades. The Trimaster and Diemaster2 left the best surface. With the Diemaster2 being a 1/2" wide bimetal, 6 tpi blade, I was quite surprised at its performance on my saw and very disappointed with the CT.

I'm running them on a Minimax MM20.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I see no need for over 3/4" on a 17"-18" BS. I used the Woodslicer for years in 1/2" before going to Lennox bi-metals in 1/2" and 3/4". I won't run what a manufacturer says is maximum.. alway under and see no need to pay extra if not needed which it isn't IMO.

Sarge..

Blog Entries
    1/2" and 3/4" have both worked well on my G0513X. Sometimes the deciding factor is what tooth pattern is available between the two sizes for me.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler