Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will 2009 equipment prices be lower?

Will 2009 equipment prices be lower?

I know there's been much talk about major equipment prices rising at the end of this year but I was wondering if this is still going to happen with fuel and steel prices plummeting.

Where I work, we're anticipating raw materials dropping 10-15% in the first quarter of 2009. We're also seeing shipping prices for containers out of Asia dropping 25-30%.

With this said, does anyone have first hand knowledge of what's going to happen at the beginning of 2009 in regards to tool pricing? I realize this is a little bit of a crystal ball question but many of the price increases we've seen in the last year were attributed to steel and gas prices. Using this reasoning you'd think we'd see the same in the other direction.

Thanks,
    Wes

Blog Entries
    My crystal ball says that most items will drop in price between now and January. After that it is anbody's guess.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I don't think prices will actually go down except that there may be more and more specials with lower prices.

Deflation is very very bad for the economy and the powers that be will keep that from happening even if it means the modern equivalent of just printing more money.

That's my guess which is worth less than what it cost you.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

As long as I can get a fat discount on a new laptop, I'll be happy. The money left in my pocket will go to some other producer, so it isn't exactly a 'loss' to the overall market.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I think two factors are in opposition to one another right now .. Materials and Shipping prices have dropped, but only because demand has dropped. Which means what you make probably suffers from a lower demand as well. So while it may be cheaper to make the tools, it's also probably tougher to sell them.

Now that all sounds like good news for lower prices until you factor in that a company needs to make money to survive in this kind of climate, too. They may have to go for higher margins rather than volume since people may not be buying nearly as much as they had been.

Add to that a stockpile of inventory - created when raw materials were still high priced, no less. Who knows what will happen!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

I doubt you will see prices drop a significant amount in the short term. Even though raw materials may be cheaper, other costs have gone up

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

I think they will drop dramatically

between Thanksgiving and X-Mas. Everyday I turn on thr news, 20,000 more jobs are lost. Consumer buying is at an all time low. The retailers and the manufacturers have to get rid of merchandise to carry them through next year or go belly up. I think a lot of stuff will be sold at cost and some stuff sold at below cost just to pay the rent. The other obvious thing is that more jobs will be lost which means even less buyers.
    I hate to sound like the Prophet of Doom, but I dont see a very good outcome for the worlds economy for the next few years.
    I am a sub contract worker in the offshore oil fields in The GUlf of Mexico.
    I may have to take a job in Cameroon - West Africa in January or go unemployed. This is literally where I have to ask myself "How much is my life worth?"
    Prices will continue to decline and corporations will continue to go out of business and eventually, when ever that might be, things will level out for a while then pick up. I done expect to see that for several years.
    I sure hope I am worrying for nothing.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Oooooouuuuuuhhhhh the spirits talk... my wallet will look thinner very soom... Oooouuuuhhh... my buddies next door and across the street will buy less tools for Christmas and next year .... I see big red Bargain and Sale signs in our future.. but also ... no price drops... but I see people eating beans and rice while dreaming of a 14" Rikon bandsaw.... the crystal ball is dark for now.

A local steel making plant Chartes Steel just xed 150 guys to stay in line with everybody else. There price is dropping some not much, they make a lot of high end and great quality stuff that was being shipped over seas because of the weak dollar before. Most xed were saleried spots. As the dollar goes up our prices won't drop on tools. Just my opinion I have been wrong in the past.

Chuck

I don't think we will see actual prices drop, but I do believe that sales this XMas season will include some bigger discounts than normal however. With all of the job loss going around, Im glad I work for the most stable employer in the world, job security baby (and you can have it too....just visit your local recruiter/ROTC instructor ) and its nice to know that by law my raises are tied to inflation as well as longevity, so I will always make at least as much as I did last year (cmon discount, Im waitin for ya )
    That which does not kill you will likely raise your insurance premiums.

Blog Entries
    I would say "absolutely". I would expect that just like coffee and baltic birch plywood, once the "reason" for the sudden and brutal price hike is resolved; prices will drop right back down.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Chuck,

Your current employer had me on the payroll about the time you were born. There are more than just a few here who also spent some time in your outfit who like me are too old now and not eligible for rehire

It's your watch and we're all proud of you guys and gals.

Concerning the economic situation we find ourselves in these days I think there we all expect to see things get worse and we are all braced for a long crawl out of this one. I wonder if those who experience the loss of their jobs will have to start their own businesses in order to make ends meet. Waiting for large corporations to start hiring again might be the longest wait in history this time.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-18-2008 at 6:42 PM.

I don't think that prices will drop, however we may see suppliers go bankrupt.

The machinery that all the importers are selling now, were purchased with high value US dollars, perhaps 6 months to a year ago.

Now they're selling them for low value US dollars. This will affect their ability to make any profit, therefore they'll either keep prices steady or increase them.

Of course I could be right out in left field, however I wouldn't want to be a supplier right now.

Regards, Rod.

Nobody knows the answer to that question. Picture a bunch of Penguins standing at the edge of the water. Each one with a name like Delta, Powermatic or General..

Each one watching the other as costs drop, hoping nobody drops their drawers and jumps into the water.

These guys work on inventories. They order a few months in advance. If any one of them starts to get a warehouse full of stock that isnt selling, they will need to move it. When one jumps, they will all be forced into the water.

The lead time for tools from Taiwan isnt as long as you would think. If sales drop off, and the big names start ordering less, you will have factories in Taiwan and China with less to do. That will cause them to sharpen pencils as well.

All indications are that prices should fall, but nobody will want them too.. It will take someone getting nervous.

Things are still pretty good in the woodworkers' consumer world

The price of woodworking machinery today is still pretty darn cheap for what you get.

When I outfitted my home shop 20 years ago, the price of machinery was nearly the same as today. However, the average income was about 1/2 of what it is today. I would also like to add that woodworking machines offered today are of better quality especially considering the poor quality of the early Taiwanese imports. The offerings today also sport more innovative features.

Here are some examples of my purchases 20 years ago:
    - Delta Unisaw $1,900
    - Jet 18" bandsaw $1,000
    - Grizzly 6" jointer $400
    - Sears 10" radial arm saw $450
    - Delta portable planer $420

All of these can now be had for nearly the same price, and all of their modern replacements offer more features and value.

What’s killing me is the diversion of my funds to non-woodworking related necessities in life. My property tax and health insurance costs have increased almost 5 times of what they were 20 years ago, and my utilities are about 4 times more. Did I mention that my income has only doubled?

It's not the value of machines today, or their relatively small price increase, that is making them harder to obtain. It's mostly the lack of sufficient funds to buy these 'wanted' items which must give way to ‘needed’ items. And, I suspect, this situation will continue to get worse.

-Jeff