Thread: Homemade Buffing System

Homemade Buffing System

To all those who have received my pdf tutorial on the Homemade Buffing System:
    I have discovered an easier way to make the Center Core (axle) for the buffing wheels. In the tutorial, I said the inside of the 1/2" CPVC shaft is not quite 1/2" (the size of the motor arbor), and that it can be made larger by sanding, using 120 grit and a 3/8" wooden dowel. Too slow!
    Today, while making some larger wheels (9") to use on larger bowls, I took the short piece of CPVC with pliers, and drilled it out to 1/2" with a normal twist drill on my drill press. I drilled it, blew away the pvc shavings, then did it again and again, 'til it slid on and off the motor arbor-shaft easily.
    Another tip: I put about 6 or 8 layers of the cloth onto the CPVC axel, force them tight into place, and CA'd them, then added some more layers, CA'd them, and so on, 'til I had the full width of the wheel finished, mounted on the CPVC axle. Worked easily.
    Just wanted to pass this on.
    Last edited by Allen Neighbors; 11-18-2008 at 2:00 PM.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Thanks Allen. I have copied your post to my "Buffing Folder" with your pdf in it. I haven't had a chance to try it, but I know it is just a matter of time.

All the best.

Don