Thread: Advise on Dying Maple

Advise on Dying Maple

Im in the process of making a maple shelf for a friends PT Cruiser. I am going to dye parts of it red to make it look like a Canadian flag. This is my first time using a dye, so I can use some tips.

1. I will be using temporary vinyl for the template for the maple leaf. Is there any risk of the dye bleeding past the edge of the template?
    2. I need wet the surface with dish soap and water ( a weak mix) to give me a little wiggle room to make sure the template is straight. Will the dish soap stain the maple?
    3. What brand dye do you reccomend?
    4. Any other tips or advise?

Thanks!!

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Dan,

The dye will bleed..and bleed good. The fibers of the wood(whatever wood you may be useing) will suck that dye up like a sponge. The only thing I can think of would be to trace out the shape to be dyed(or not dyed) and score that with a knife/chisle or the like. This should act like a wall....try this on scraps first..of coarse.

I would avoid useing a soap if you can, this could prohibit the dye from penetrating the fibers of the wood..and that is one of the big advantges to useing dyes. I favor water base dyes. The color seems to be better and the open time is longer(compared to that of alchole base...which evaporates quickly which leads to blothcing).

If scoreing the profile does not do it on the some test boards, i would suggest paint(sin...I know). Hopefully someone can share antoher thought as to how you could avoid the bleeding. But, dye by nature..well...bleeds.

Let us know what option you choose. There are certain ways to apply the dye, depending on which type you pick(water/alcohol/oil).

By the way.. I like Moser dyes from Woodworkers Supply

Dye - not in direct sunlight

Along with bleeding, the dye will fade in direct sunlight. There should be plenty in the cab of a vehicle. You might look at using either artists colors or fresco powders for the coloring.