Thread: dovetail saws

dovetail saws

Ive been wanting to learn how to handcut dovetais so I bought a Gent saw from Rockler but just doesnt feel right in the hand. Im now looking for a decent dovetail saw from Rockler. Can anyone point me in the right direction from the saws that Rockler carries. Thanks

All I can think of is try one of their Japanese saws they cut great compaired to most western style saws
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

brian, i had the same experience as you with the gentleman's saw and bought a more traditional saw but i discovered that afterwards the gentleman's saw will work just as well if you hold it right. i grip the the handle with my last three fingers and thumb and point my index finger out straight up against the edge of the saw to guide it.

Why Rockler?

Lee Valley has a new saw that is cheaper than many available. Showed it in Berea, works very well. They just put it up on their website... Veritas Dovetail Saw.

Don't own one, just an option. Rockler is way low on my list for any hand tool related purchase.

- jbd in Denver

Just looked at the LV website. Wow, that is an innovative design.

I've experimented with the small Japanese pull saws, and feel the traditional Western push saw is superior for dovetails. For me it seems to offer more control and precision. Spend the money on a good saw if you want to hand cut your dovetails. I found that having a nice saw really makes the cutting easier. Also, if you have a subscription to FW check out the videos there by Philip Lowe on how to saw. He gives some great simple tips that really improved my sawing.

taking light initial cuts does make it easier to start the cut. kudos to you for considering cutting dovetails by hand!

I have about a zillion (6) dovetail saws. My favorite is an old old english made dovetail saw, the name escapes me. It looks like the Kenyon saw but is larger which is fine since I have a long stroke. I have 2 of the gents saws and a very nice japanese dozuki that I could never get the hang of. I can't cut straight with them at all no matter how much I stone the teeth. I think I have used western saws too much during my life to adapt myself to the straight grip. Perhaps you have the same issue? I haven't used or even seen the LV dovetail saw in person but owning several of their other tools and the high standards to which they're made, that saw, even though it looks unconventional, probably is a stellar performer, and you can't beat the price with a hammer. If you want a traditional looking saw, and have the funds, I recommend a Wenzloff.

One other thing, going to ebay and typing in dovetail and then selecting the tools and collectibles category yields a ton of great vintage dovetail saws for, while not cheap, are affordable. Plan on sending them out for sharpening though.

10. Brian,

The problem with most of the inexpensive dovetail saws on the retail market today is that they are filed corsscut from the factory. I can't figure out why as cross cut filing is more complicated, but they are. They also usually have way too much set to the teeth. Dovetailing is a ripping operation so you want a rip saw. THe cheaper saws will work just fine if they are refiled rip and given minimal set but that's an additional expense over the cost of the saw. Your best bet is a higher end saw or a vintage saw tuned properly.

I am selling two dovetail sized saws right now (one rip and one crosscut). If you are interested in one or both PM me for more info and a picture.

Bob

Brian, do not limit yourself to choosing a saw from any single retailer even though they might have the only store convenient to you. Others have made good comments about the choices available. If you're still going to look at Rockler, they have a new line of Disston saws. Do not confuse these saws with the Disstons of old made in the Philadelphia area. Disston went out of business many years ago and either Rockler or someone else bought the name. Their new dovetail saw sells for $130 and has a clunky handle. I can't comment on how it performs since I haven't tried one, but it is heavily overpriced considering the competition. Plus or minus $10, the $130 price tag is about what you'd expect to spend for any of the top notch saws from Wenzloff, Lie-Nielsen, Adria, Grammercy, and others.
    Last edited by Dave Anderson NH; 11-21-2008 at 9:51 AM. Reason: spelling
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Keith View Post
    Ive been wanting to learn how to handcut dovetais so I bought a Gent saw from Rockler but just doesnt feel right in the hand. Im now looking for a decent dovetail saw from Rockler. Can anyone point me in the right direction from the saws that Rockler carries. Thanks
    Have you thought about re-shaping the handle?

Have you considered sharpening the teeth with a file? You might be surprised at how much better a saw will cut if you sharpen it. Many of the gent saws on the market need to have the teeth sharpened to perform well, but they are very capable saws.

I happen to be one of the folks that does like the way a gent's saw feels, and I own quite a few vintage Disston 68s, in variety of sizes. Crown makes a series of gent saws, and the 8" or 10" models are decent, IMO. They are very similar is teeth size and saw plate as the vintage Disston 68. Those Crown gent saws definitely need to be sharpened to be of any use though, as new they will not cut their way out of a wet paper bag.

You could also re-handle a gents saw pretty easily, the first saw I made was done just like that.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/