Thread: Finishing over Black Latex Paint

Finishing over Black Latex Paint

I have painted a small countertop made from MDF board with a black latex paint. I was wondering what the best way to finish the countertop would be. Can I put a couple coats of poly on it or is there something else that would be better to put on it?

Welcome to SMC, Paul.

Unfortunately, latex paint is a very soft finish, so any additional finish you put over it will not give you an entirely "protective" surface. If you used flat paint your results will be better once you top coat, but if you used satin or semi-gloss, don't expect a lot of durability. If you need that, consider putting some tempered glass over the results.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim for the input. I have decided to put an oil based gloss paint on it instead. I'm assuming this is a better alternative. Is that what you would recommend to do? Any input would be appreciated.

Paul, if you want to stay with a water borne, then there are 100% acrylic products available. However, the rub is that they are hard to get in such a dark (!) color. Sherwin Williams ProClassic cannot be tinited dark...there is no deep tint base. (At least the last time I tried) Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo 100% acrylic does have a deep tint base, but you'll have to talk with the store to see if they can go all the way to black. I did get that mixed in a very deep green, however. Both of these products dry hard with no blocking (stickiness) like you will get with a latex paint.

But an oil based enamel will also give you an excellent finish with no blocking after it is fully cured.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...