Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly G0490

Grizzly G0490

I recently purchased the G0490 jointer.

Everything was going good until it was time for a test cut. Before I turned on the machine I checked the blades with a straight edge at the back, middle and front. All four just kissed it. Ran a piece of poplar through on edge and flat and I get ridges. Tried again with a ridiculously slow feed rate and I get the same results.

The jointer vibrates pretty good. I think I have narrowed it to the pulley on the motor. Will this cause the ridges or ripples I get in the jointed board? Should I be looking elsewhere? Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
    Todd

Carefully put the guard back and inspect the knives. With the unit UNPLUGGED of course. Sounds like you have nick in the knives. The reason for the grooves in the work piece. Also check the belt tension and pulleys. Make sure there tight. Could be the reason for the vibration.

No knick in the knives. It acts as if one knife is higher than the others. However they are all set the same. I will talk to Grizzly tech on Monday. I don't expect much help. I had a 6 inch Delta for years and changed the knives 3 times and never had a problem. I suspect the tool will be going back.

I have heard the pully is a common problem on this jointer. I wouldn't think the ripples in the wood would be caused by the vibration unless it excessive. Whatever the issue is I know Grizzly will make it right. My guess they will ship out a pulley instead of you sending it back. Some people also add a link belt to reduce vibration. My Shop Fox version was so smooth I don't have to bother with a link belt.

I have a new G0490X. The belt seems to be too long. When the jointer is running, the belt is sloppy and and is hitting the slot in the base from the motor to the drive pulley. Since there is no adjustment on the motor to tighten the existing belt, I will be replacing it with a link belt.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Booher View Post
    I have a new G0490X. The belt seems to be too long. When the jointer is running, the belt is sloppy and and is hitting the slot in the base from the motor to the drive pulley. Since there is no adjustment on the motor to tighten the existing belt, I will be replacing it with a link belt.

Jerry
    Jerry, you should have plenty of adjustment for the belt. Mine has two sets of slots. I did have to relocate to the higher set of slots but I have lots of room for adjustment, could go another 3/4 to 1" more if my belt should stretch. Right now I just have it tensioned enough to not slip and mine is running smooth. I can talk over it without even raising my voice hardly at all.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Jim beat me to it. From the Grizzly manual, page 20. Loosen the bolts pointed to in black. I have seen people move the motor all the way to the top and add a much shorter link belt to reduce the belt slap on startup.

Grizzly G0490 Vibration

Hi All.
    This is my first post here so the first thing I should do is thank all of you for all the good information that I get by reading your posts. My dad always taught me to watch, look, and listen, and to only inject when one has something to add.

That being said-- I have been dealing with Grizzly for a number of weeks regarding vibration issues with a new G0490. Thus far I have added a Link Belt, replaced the motor pulley, and replaced the cutterhead pulley (not fun) with the pulley replacements sent by Grizzly. The motor seems fine with minimal run-out. I still have a fair amount of vibration. They even sent me a new V-Belt knowing that I had installed a Link Belt and I put it on just to cover all bases. The vibration grew much worse with the new V-Belt.

At this time a new cutterhead with bearings is in UPS on the way to me. It has been a major frustration but Grizzly has been trying to help. If you would like, I can let you all know how it works out.

Jim

I must suspect something other than an unbalanced pulley to cause the planer marks you discribe. The vibration of a pulley or belt would definately be a nusiance, but not affect the cut, considering this is a new machine with masses of cast iron! You are getting the same effect caused by one knife being set higher than the other three (doing all the work). Something is moving, I suspect!

These marks show that something may be *loose* regardless of balance. If your gib bolts are all tight, your knives are not moving. An out-of-round cutter head is very doubtful but not impossible. A brand new bad bearing is doubtful, but its journal could be a sloppy fit. Either would cause the cutter head to rotate nicely for you to check your knives by hand with a straight edge, BUT wobble horribly out of round under power. Check to see that the cutter head journal bolts are snugged down tightly to the frame. Check that there is no play in either in- or outfeed table when locked down. Any vibration causing these to jump up and down would cause your knife marks as discribed.

I hope this may help! Good Luck!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Blog Entries
    I'm with Chip. A jointer dancing about is not good but I wouldn't expect scalloping from vibration in and of itself. I am a fan of Grizzly but we all have our threshold. Jim states "weeks" on this effort which would have me in a state of mind to expect a new machine showing up ASAP. He has already gone above and beyond the call of duty.

It seems like we are wandering off Caron's OP so as long as I am giving free opinions, I'll try to veer back his way. I'll assume the jointer is vibrating much more than another machine, like your tablesaw, just as a point of reference. I won't be near my machine till Monday but I will try to check it with some quantifiable 'thing' and report back; nickle test or cup of coffee or something scientific like that ;-) Jim's issue should caution Caron to take copious notes and keep good records of his interaction with Griz in case things go south. I tend to lean toward the three-strikes rule on this stuff; if you aren't feeling the love, ask to talk to someone's boss.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-23-2008 at 12:30 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Please post the outcome. We definately want to know and I would like to see the final solution post for reference in case some else runs into the same issue.

If or when you solve the problem check all the allen set screws on the entire machine. None of the ones on my 490 were even hand tight. It is a real pain to re-align everything on these machines becase of slack ass assembly practices. I had a host of problems including shipping damage and the belt that came with mine was to long for first set of holes and to short for second set. Good old NAPA came through. This is my first and last grizzly eguipment.

Mark

mark, as jim said grizzly's idea on the jointer seems to be for you to adjust the motor height yourself to apply the proper tension (even though it wasn't stated as such in the manual). i bought a 0593 to replace my old 6" last week and had to adjust the motor height on mine as well.

i didn't have the problem you describe of the allen screws all being loose, though, that's definitely an error on their part.

fwiw, other than adjusting the motor height mine didn't require anything other than grease cleanup and assembly. the outfeed table was dead on, the head was level, fit on the fence was good, even the depth guage on the infeed table was accurate.

hope you guys get yours sorted out.

OK guys it is a new day. I started this morning with the 2 hour round trip to Woodcraft to get a magnetic base for my dial indicator.

1. Checked the cutterhead height in relation to the outfeed table. It was .031. Adjusted the outfeed table to .062 as per the instructions.

2. Checked infeed table in relation to outfeed table. It was .085 below the outfeed. Adjusted it to zero. Tightened it backup and reset depth indicator to zero.

3. Checked all blade heights. I had some off by .0015. Reset all blades to .002 above the new outfeed table height. These were all measured at the back, middle and front. (I had one blade that measured .0025 at the front)

4. Ran a piece of soft maple.

5. Same results. (tiny bit better) It is still to scallopped for a glue joint. Got disgusted and took break for lunch.

I guess I may pull the drive pulley and check for runout. I will be calling grizzly first thing Monday. I will document all conversations. I don't know about changing everything out to try to make it work. If I am going to do that they might as well send it to me in pieces to start with.

Wow Caron I really feel for you, this stinks! I really hope you get this all taken care of and soon, its really a nice jointer and you obviously have something horribly wrong with yours. I guess you got "the one". Sorry for you troubles and keep us posted!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.