Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SCMI F3a Jointer Refurb Completed (lots of pics)

SCMI F3a Jointer Refurb Completed (lots of pics)

I searched for a long time for a Rockwell/SCMI F3a 12" jointer. It's built just like the bigger 16-24" jointer. SCMI built it for Rockwell in 1975 and 1976. I'm told it sold for $6-7K back then. I found one that was complete but in rough shape at auction in Las Vegas. I was able to win the auction for $750, but by the time I got it delived I had about $1100 in it. I completely disassembled it, cleaned and repainted, and added a Byrd cutterhead, new bearings, and a TECO VFD.
    Here are a few before pictures, and several after pics.

Holy Cow!! Very nice. The more refurbs that I see the more I want to go that route. Very nicely done.

Very nice Joe !!!!!!

Great job Joe!! Fixing up a machine that will give you years of work is a truly gratifying feeling.

Holy moly is that phase converter big, what HP does that thing go up to? I needed the 2HP model, but I thought it was a tiny thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Martin View Post
    Great job Joe!! Fixing up a machine that will give you years of work is a truly gratifying feeling.

Holy moly is that phase converter big, what HP does that thing go up to? I needed the 2HP model, but I thought it was a tiny thing...
    The reason it's so big is that it's sealed with a huge heat sink on the back. Most units have fans that pull air into the VFD to cool it. Being an electrical engineer, the idea of pulling wood shop dust into the electronics was worrisome so I went overnboard and bought the sealed one...joe

Beautiful work!

That's a great looking unit. Is the finish powder coat, or did you respray?

Pardon my ignorance, but does the reference to phase converter mean you went from 3 phase to one phase power? If so, can I ask what the converter cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Karow View Post
    That's a great looking unit. Is the finish powder coat, or did you respray?

Pardon my ignorance, but does the reference to phase converter mean you went from 3 phase to one phase power? If so, can I ask what the converter cost?
    I just sprayed it, but with a high quality catalyzed acrylic enamel.

The machine had a 3PH motor, so I needed a converter. The TECO is a qwell known brand and I was able to get it for $350. The place I purchased from is based in Florida and they were 30-40% cheaper than everyone else. Sadly I can't find their website or name...joe

Joe - That turned out very nicely! Good job.
    JR

For those who are interested, the TECO FM50 in a NEMA 4 sealed chassis was $302 from Power-Components in Florida.

http://www.power-components.com/price-list.htm

Hmmm how do I break this to you....once you start buying these big boys there's no turning back. 12" is nice and all, but one day you'll be at an auction and you'll see a 16" (insert favorite name here) staring you down. Sure the 12" is enough, but that 16" will be calling....Joe....buy me!!! You'll try to resist but it's 4 more inches

From the guy who looks at his 16" EMA while thinking about a 20" Oliver

Seriously though, nice job!
    JeffD

Excelent job Joe

The fit and finish look beautiful. Those leveling have to be the toughest I've seen.
    Very well done.

Wow.... very sweet! The phase converter looks like it was part of the original design. I bet it cuts like a dream.

Better than new!

A fantastic refurb! You are one talented guy.

Phase converters

Thanks for the info on the converter, and I'll second the vote for you being a talented guy!

Not to hijack the thread...much...but I've seen discussions on converting 3 to one phase power. I'm assuming given the quality of your renovation that this converter gives you a clean conversion, no motor issues etc. Is the issue simply that some folks are trying to do the conversion without investing in the correct technology? I mean, if these converters are available, sure they're not cheap but it opens up a whole new way of looking at surplus industrial auctions. Lustfully!

Please note my wife would like you to tell me three to one-phase conversion is not possible under any circumstances

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Karow View Post
    Thanks for the info on the converter, and I'll second the vote for you being a talented guy!

Not to hijack the thread...much...but I've seen discussions on converting 3 to one phase power. I'm assuming given the quality of your renovation that this converter gives you a clean conversion, no motor issues etc. Is the issue simply that some folks are trying to do the conversion without investing in the correct technology? I mean, if these converters are available, sure they're not cheap but it opens up a whole new way of looking at surplus industrial auctions. Lustfully!

Please note my wife would like you to tell me three to one-phase conversion is not possible under any circumstances
    Bill, I was a non-believer in 3ph to 1ph conversion forever. When I bought the jointer I was planning to just replace the motor. Other sage members here convinced me that 3ph motors are way smoother than 1ph so I decided to take the plunge. All I can say is WOW. The 3ph motor starts incredilbly smooth and runs completely silent. This from a motor that is over 30 years old and has clearly never been overhauled. I did a lot of research on phase conversion. Static converters don't deliver full power, and motors are not smooth with them. Some converters use electronics and motors, and I think they generate true 3ph, but they are large and would consume too much floor space. VFDs range from very good to not so good. VFDs are only suitable for motors, but they output a 3ph power (albeit not a true sine wave). I chose the VFD because I wasn't comfortable with a static converter, and I wanted to be able to just walk up and start and stop the jointer with the original buttons.