Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Planes are out! Not for the squeamish!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Davis View Post
    I guess you don't like the looks of the plane.

What color is your Porsche BTW?
    I didn't say about the looks one way or the other, but my Porsche is white.

The color is only on the outside, has very little to do with a Porsche, that was my point. When my Porsche was built, most of it was hand made, the leather was cut by hand, the fenders were shaped by hand, etc...sure, it's not entirely made by hand, but that's the way they built them in '84. Like everything in life, you have to take care of thing if you want them to last.

These planes remind me of a Saturn, in that regard.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Alan,
    Re: Porsche vs Saturn.
    I have had the dubious pleasure of being the quality manager of an automotive supplier, and have supplied to GM, Ford, Chrysler, BMW, Honda, Toyota, Isuzu, and Saturn.
    Saturn was the hardest of all to satisfy.

Re: the planes.
    If you are referring to the styling, well that is personal preference.
    If you are referring to the functionality - well then, on what do you base your comments? Have you used the plane?

It may not be your cup of tea, but that is no reason to disparage it.
    If you have some reason to think it has a design flaw, then please let us know.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Blick View Post
    I will try again.....

> So is the block plane the "new line" or will there be an entire line-up of new designs? Jack, Jointer, Miter, etc? Please advise ASAP!! :-)
    If this is the only plane then it wouldn't be a 'new line' but more like a 'new dot'.

wow

All I can say is that I'm sorry (well sort of) I just got the LV standard block plane for my birthday last month

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    Re: the planes.
    If you are referring to the styling, well that is personal preference.
    If you are referring to the functionality - well then, on what do you base your comments? Have you used the plane?
    No, I was referring to the way they are manufactured. These appear to be almost done entirely by machine. These parts are machined by a computer, from the appearance.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    It may not be your cup of tea, but that is no reason to disparage it.
    I wasn't trying to disparge them, just don't see the reference to them as being a Porsche. They look like quality planes, not trying to dis them, they just do not meet that standard from the looks of them.

If your talking about looks alone, I guess you can safely say they kinda sorta resemble a modern Porsche, the ones that are not made by hand anymore.

OTOH, you could say they look like modern running shoes also...

EDIT: I would like to point out that to me, the most significant element of these new planes is the NX version, in that it actually uses better material that is more corrosion resistant. That is a very good reason to improve the material. That is an improvement over what has been done in the past.
    Last edited by Alan DuBoff; 11-25-2008 at 3:28 PM. Reason: Add EDIT
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

I think they look great. The adjustable mouth looks fantastic. The new planes look solid and well-built. I'm really impressed that a company would chose to put so much work and care into their products, as I'm sure they are aware that they could farm work out to the third world for a fraction of the price. The result would be a fraction of the quality, but they would sell more. Nice job, Veritas. I'll but it eventually (after Christmas).

For a more complete story about this plane and others to come check out Chris Schwarz's blog. Nice interview with Mr. Lee himself. I warn you though, you will be teased with the mention of the forthcoming premium bevel-up jack and smoother, a carcase saw, and four planes under $100 He answers many questions but leaves us with many more...

http://popularwoodworking.com/articl...m_block_planes

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Wow.... after looking at that article on Popular Woodworking I have one thing to say to Rob Lee:

Did the guys who designed Concept 2b and 4 leave and go to design the new Stanley planes?

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com...ey+Works+.aspx

I notice a slight, all be it slight, similarity.

> Did the guys who designed Concept 2b and 4 leave and go to design the new Stanley planes?

Excellent observation!!!! I wouldn't doubt this actually occurred, unless their is a lot of closet plane designers in the world :-)

Hmm, 1/4, 3/8 and 5/8 miniature shoulder planes, a new plane for which there is no Stanley precedent, a small scraping plane plus a carcass saw.

Hang on to your seats boys and girls it's gonna be quite a ride.
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

Quote Originally Posted by James Mittlefehldt View Post
    Hmm, 1/4, 3/8 and 5/8 miniature shoulder planes, a new plane for which there is no Stanley precedent, a small scraping plane plus a carcass saw.

Yeah...

... and he didn't even metion the beader and 'shave....

Mind you - I didn't tell him everything either...!

Cheers -

Rob
    (PS - I think the 5/8 should be 5/16"... )

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Murdock View Post
    Wow.... after looking at that article on Popular Woodworking I have one thing to say to Rob Lee:

Did the guys who designed Concept 2b and 4 leave and go to design the new Stanley planes?

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com...ey+Works+.aspx

I notice a slight, all be it slight, similarity.

Hi Kevin -

I think Stanley went to school on our current block (which of course, was developed by going to school on other blocks...). We, of course, used our own as a starting point for the concepts...

Cheers -

Rob

I think its great that tools are evolving and new designs are on the boards. I don't feel pressure to buy all the new designs, I love the planes I have many are Veritas. .... just nice to see where its all going
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by James Mittlefehldt View Post

So who wants to join the 'I hate Rob Lee club' . I tell ya Rob, I'm never going to get my retirement package in order if I have to keep shelling out money to LV , and now you've gone and started the next round of "what have I got up my sleeve' (a new plane for which there is no Stanley precedent). You can be a very cruel man Mr. Lee .
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

Those are some nice looking planes Rob. I like the ergonomics built into the contours. No place for the side of your hand, or pad of a finger to catch a leading, or trailing edge. They must feel great in the hand.

Nice work.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)