Thread: floor mount electrical receptacle

floor mount electrical receptacle

We are finally in our new house and setting up the shop. both in the shop and in the living area, we would like some flloor mounted electrical receptacles. I see some very expensive brass floor outlets, but can I just use regular boxes and receptacles, or is there something unsafe about this. In the living areas, can I make wood coverplates without having some kind of fire risk?

Floor mounted receptacles must use a device approved for floor mount applications - regular receptacles are not safe because they can be damaged easily and debris can get into the plug. This is particularly bad in a shop environment. There, the best type of floor outlet uses a monument style plug with a metal housing. Search on this forum or see FWW shop issue from last year (IIRC) for more info.

A floorbox must be listed & labeled for the purpose, a site built/jerryrigged is not a good idea. Hubbell & Carlon both have PVC floor boxes that can take a variety of covers, the "monument" style is a trip hazard IMO, I have had floorboxes w/ brass covers in my shop floor for 15 years w/ no troubles. BTW most floorboxes are made for concrete floors, very few are made for wood floors but are avail.

Actually i need to buy some really nice looking brass floor mounted recepticles. Can anyone recommend a really good quality brand/source?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    Actually i need to buy some really nice looking brass floor mounted recepticles. Can anyone recommend a really good quality brand/source?
    What type of floor? That will make a diff. on what's avail.,the big box stores* do carry some for wood floors either made by Raco or Carlon.

*What Home Despot or Blowes carry will depend on the market they are in.

Rollie...sorry i should have been more explicit. These would go in the living/great room of the house and the floors are 3/4" heart pine over advantech subfloor.

Check your local big box or a good electrical supply house would be a better bet, there are a few floor boxes made for wood floors.

Try seaching the Hubbell website http://www.hubbell-wiring.com/htm/catalogindex.htm Click on the floor box section and there are ones listed for wood floors.

Electrical codes

In my NE Ohio County the building department requires "garage" (so I'm using the same standards for my shop) receptacles to be at least 24" above the floor and, of course, GFCI. I don't know the reason - but maybe that volatile fumes settle at a lower level?

So, I'd just make quick phone call to your electrical inspector for your jurisdiction. Good luck.
    Daryl

Ashtabula, Ohio in the Snowbelt