Thread: Tool quality questions...

Tool quality questions...

Just some general how to when addressing woodworking tools. In the last couple of years I have collected a myriad of different tools, different manufacturers. I would say I am happy with most, but there are a couple I really don't like.

I have this little inexpensive (ok, cheap) Ryobi scroll saw. I bought it as something cheap to help cut pinewood derby cars on. The last time I used it, I broke the blade clamp, mostly because I was changing blades practically on every car. I imagine I bought the wrong kind of blades for what I was cutting, and I was getting frustrated. I want to replaced it with a band saw, and I saw Home Depot sells a Reconditioned Rigid 14" Band Saw.

Has anyone bought any reconditioned Rigid tools before? Im willing to give it a try to save a few bucks. I have a Rigid circular saw, and it is a great product. I use it all the time because my 10" table saw just can't handle 8' of plywood. So I build a jig on the ground and rip larger pieces with it.

What should I look for regarding a decent band saw? Should I bother with the reconditioned one or try to get a new one?

The whole scroll saw thing really irritates me because I have 2 other Ryobi tools that are just fine. My table saw is a 10" Ryobi (the one that has wheels on it and collapses) and I have this great, little router table that isa ryobi. They weren't expensive, but they do a lot.

I figure, the next big tool (other than a band saw) that I want to get is a small compressor and a finishing nailer. What should I be looking for in terms of cfm, max tank pressure and size. I plan on starting out just using a finishing nailer and of course using it to fill up car/atv tires and such, but my Spring projects will be fixing my privacy fence, and (money willing) building a small shed in my backyard. So I want to buy something that is a little future proof and gives me plenty of power to do projects down the road. I don't like replacing things because I bought too small (ask me about my truck incident someday).

Anyways, I was looking at this Rigid set. Do you think its powerful enough?

I have a few Ridgid tools and they do a decent job for what I bought them for. I have their jobsite tablesaw and its been a great tool for framing houses and rough work etc. I also have on impact drill I bought at a flea market and its done the job. Their bandsaw I dont have any experience with though I have looked it over in the store. I would bump up a bit and look at the Grizzly 14" saws. Alot of folks here have these and can give you alot more to go on with those vs the Ridgid. As far as the compressor/nailer combo again here I would move up if possible. The 2.5 gal tank is a little lean for continuous nailing applications such as fence building and framing a shed. Look for something with a 4 gal or larger tank. I run a general contracting business and I have two jobsite compressors that I use everyday for everything and they are 4 gal and one is a 10. They do everything I have ever asked of them from framing to roofing and in between. Ive seen guys haul these huge monster compressors around to jobsites and I just laugh and carry my little 4 gal with one hand to the site and do the same thing. Does mine cycle more often, sure it does, has this caused any problems, not yet and Ive the 4 gal for over 10 years!! Check into the Bostitch or Dewalt combos, I think you'll get a better overall bang for your buck.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Be sure to check out the shipping on the Rigid refurb.I was interested until I saw it cost more than buying it new.

Regarding the compressor/nailer:
    I bought a Bostitch 2gal pancake compressor and finish nailer 3 months ago. The nailer is great, the compressor is total complete garbage. Already, one of the check valves broke on the cylinder, the drain plug broke off, and the gasket around the piston tore. I've nearly spent more on parts to repair it than I paid for it originally.

I would avoid oil-less compressors. Buy a good oiled unit. I just don't understand how manufacturers believe that an oil-less compressor will last any length of time at all.

A lot of the time, I read with interest the tool tests in the big 3 woodworking magazines and usually go with the tool that received the highest ratings. The authors do what we can't and that is have all the models at their finger tips for testing. The last tool I bought upon the test results was the Makita 18v cordless drill and I love it, although I can't recall which issue of which mag I saw it in?
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

I have used the Ryobi scroll saw and it is not much to write home about but...A scroll saw is made to cut thin stock. 3/4" is doable but pushing its limits. A bandsaw would be much better for pine derby cars.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale