Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC -- Delta 50-760 !!

DC -- Delta 50-760 !!

OK, I gone and done it! I bought the Delta 50-760 today. It is a combined birthday/Christmas present. I am psyched! This is really the last big thing that I have been craving ... I mean needing.

Now I have to figure out hose size and type, connectors, etc. I will be building a "Phil Thien Baffle/chip separator." ( I already built one for my shop vac.)

I know that there is a ton of information on SMC on this topic, so rather than list all of my questions, I will just say that I welcome all suggestions and pointers to the best links on this topic.

Just as background ... I am in a three car garage using the third bay as my workshop -- so I don't have very long distances to go with the hose.

Ray

At least 6 inches required

From reading the DC posts, I see that I should go with 6 inch hoses. I have seen them in several of the posts, but I wonder where to get them. Is it something that is available at the BORG or at A/C suppliers? Also, what should I use for the fixed portions (that don't require flex) -- PVC, or something else?

I am ready to start building the connections to my tablesaw, jointer, planer, and bandsaw, and could use some pointers on how to get started with the building the lines. (I looked at many posts, and could not find tips on this particular part of the issue.)

Thanks for any help!
    Ray

Your going to get mixed replies, some say steel pipe, some say pvc pipe. I know if it were me, I would use 6" Sewer and Drain pvc pipe. Its alot cheaper and alot thinner. I know that there are haters out there about pvc pipe, but shipping for me would be outragous for steel pipe, and I can get 6"S/D locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Schafer View Post
    I will be building a "Phil Thien Baffle/chip separator."
    You will be really happy you did if you build the seperator. I was when i saw the state of my filter after i built that baffle onto my HF DC. although this doesnt answer your specific questions, thought i'd share the pics of before and after the baffle. This after planing and jointing a bag full of ebony and zebrawood.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, I will definitely build the baffle. It works great on my shop vac. I just need to make a bigger version for my DC. Wish I knew where to get a drum ... so I will probably go with a large metal trash can.

Just got back from the Borg. There is 26 gauge vent vent pipes that look like they would work perfectly. I will look at the sewer and drain pipes on my way home today.

Anyone know where I can get the flexible plastic tubing to use for the last few feet to each tool ... and for when/if I want to roll it around to other tools?
    Last edited by Ray Schafer; 11-25-2008 at 5:33 PM.

RE: Plils baffle

Lordy Lordy Lordy - now I'm starting to think I need to investigate what all the fuss is about!

Whats the best way to find the howdy doody to doing it using the search engine here. I'm somewhat computer challenged (read HATE them) so toss me a bone and I'll slowly chew it. Thanks

I am working on my ducting for my jet DC-1200 and upon doing a lot of reading I searched for spiral 6" 22 gauge duct and came up with a eastcoastsheetmetal here in Cinci. Unfortunately they only deal with distributors. They sent me to another company who will have 6" spiral duct in stock on Friday. The price for a 10' length was $22 which is cheaper than PVC. I didn't price all the fittings yet so I may yet find my wallet lighter. The 6" PVC fittings are more than the pipe itself......

I just got the Delta 50-760 last month. I bought the following cyclone lid from Woodcraft, free shipping. I put it on a 30 Gallon Trash Can and it works great.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4310

Jeff

This may be a silly question, but what is the advantage of attaching six inch pipe to five inch opening on the DC? Isn't the maximum airflow limited by the opening on the DC?

Just curious.

Roger

Bill Pentz

I spent some time reading the Bill Pentz website. After reading that, I think that the best way for me to start is to find some smooth-sided, flexible, 6-inch hose and roll my DC around to the tools. While I am getting started with that, I can try to determine the final position of my tools and design a fixed layout for the DC connector hoses. I will probably use the 6-inch sewer/drain PVC for most of the length and will use 6-inch smooth hose to go to the tools.

I think that I have a plan! Now, I hope to find a local source for the smooth, flexible hose!

OH, I forgot
    Step 1: build the Phil Thein separator ... the proceed as described above.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Rocker View Post
    I am working on my ducting for my jet DC-1200 and upon doing a lot of reading I searched for spiral 6" 22 gauge duct and came up with a eastcoastsheetmetal here in Cinci. Unfortunately they only deal with distributors. They sent me to another company who will have 6" spiral duct in stock on Friday. The price for a 10' length was $22 which is cheaper than PVC. I didn't price all the fittings yet so I may yet find my wallet lighter. The 6" PVC fittings are more than the pipe itself......

Your right that is cheaper, but I think thats for standard PVC not sewer and drain pipe which is about half the thickness. If I remember correctly Menards has 6" x 10' for under $10.

Ray, I doubt you'll find acceptable 6" flex locally, but you can order from Oneida, Air Handling Systems, Kencraft, Grizzly and Amazon, among other suppliers. The first three probably will have good stock availability.

On duct, you'll want to check local irrigation suppliers for the 6" S&D. The 26 gage "stove pipe" at the borg is also acceptable, but they typically only have short 24" lengths and the adjustable elbows are all short radius. The laterals (wyes) are constructed backwards for DC as they were intended for HVAC where the air moves in the opposite direction...so they would need to be modified for DC use. You might want to check with local HVAC suppliers if they can get you 26 gage snap lock in 5' lenghths and then order the long radius adjustable elbows and DC laterals from Onieda or Kencraft. Regardless of which type of duct type you choose, be sure to get foil tape for sealing it. Don't use "duct tape"...this is one application where it doesn't stick well enough over time.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-26-2008 at 9:16 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...