Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are some good, cheap tools?

What are some good, cheap tools?

This is partially inspired by the $20 Christmas Gift thread.

Tell us about some tools that you bought thinking "Eh, for that price, I can pitch it if it doesn't work out" but ended up being impressed with enough to keep and use regularly.

I'll start:

I have a Kobalt (Lowe's house brand) screwdriver gadget that can ratchet in either direction or lock in both directions, has a magnetic bit reciever, and an assortment of bits (standard, phillips, hex, square and star drive) built into the handle. It is kinda gadgety for a hand tool, and I don't know how well the ratchet mechanism would hold up in high-torque applications, but I use it frequently. The ratcheting feature is nice, and I don't have to carry several screwdrivers when I'm working around the house. I liked it enough that I now have 2; one in my tool belt and one in the truck.

I think it was about $7.00
    Last edited by Mike Hess; 11-26-2008 at 11:07 AM.

Screwdriver (even if I have enough now, seems I'm always losing them.)
    Tape Measure (I like the small ones - 12ft, and since I have a hard time finding them, I try to keep many around the shop.)
    Clamps
    Clamps
    More Clamps - I always need more

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hess View Post

Tell us about some tools that you bought thinking "Eh, for that price, I can pitch it if it doesn't work out" but ended up being impressed with enough to keep and use regularly.

I'll start:

I have a Kobalt (Lowe's house brand) screwdriver gadget that can ratchet in either direction or lock in both directions, has a magnetic bit reciever, and an assortment of bits (standard, phillips, hex, square and star drive) built into the handle. It is kinda gadgety for a hand tool, and I don't know how well the ratchet mechanism would hold up in high-torque applications, but I use it frequently. The ratcheting feature is nice, and I don't have to carry several screwdrivers when I'm working around the house. I liked it enough that I now have 2; one in my tool belt and one in the truck.

You must have missed the giveaway Lowe's did a few month ago on that driver. I got one and it does work well.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I bought a set of 4 Buck wood chisels for $20 in an old neighborhood hardware store years ago. I just wanted something that was NOT Stanley!! These are made of fine steel and I still use them when I must slice a sliver off here and there, or chop a shallow mortise. $20 well invested!!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Talking

There's nothing more expensive than a cheap tool.

That said, the CRAFTSMAN 10" sliding CMS is a decent machine. Less than $200. I bought it as a disposable saw to cut fiber-cement siding for my house. It's actually holding up quite well.

The laser stinks and you have to align the fence when you take it out of the box, though.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hess View Post

I'll start:

Last edited by Jason White; 11-26-2008 at 12:43 PM.

a card scraper!

Magnifying glass - I think I gave about $6.00 for it and I use it quite often. In general though, I think the title of the thread represents a contradiction in terms.

Thumbs up

- I've got a set of 24 router bits from Holbren for $20 that have more than earned their keep.

- Also have a boxed set of 5 wood handled chisels from Northern Tool for $8 shipped that have served me well.

- My Oshlun 40T full kerf blade for $24 is on the impressive side.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Bag of cheapo artists brushes from the hardware store, the kind that your kids would use for watercoloring. I use them for glue, pen finishing, etc.

$40 trim router from Grizzly. Love it.
    6 x 18" F clamps on ebay for $19.00. 4 years and running; haven't had to upgrade to Kbody yet.
    Card scraper
    Black and Decker 100pc tool kit with cordless driver. I keep one of these @ my parents' home for odd jobs. Surprisingly rugged bits and handtools.

For hand wrenches Pittsburg (HF) aren't bad. I use a set in my junkyard tool box and they work well...

A good cheap tool is..

...one that does the original intent,
    but then hangs around for more use.
    If I can get more than the original use from a "cheap" tool, it becomes a Good Cheap tool.
    When it boogers up something though, you don't feel bad about throwing it far out in a field.

Pull saw

I bought a $19 japanese pull saw at the BORG and I have used it hundreds of times. It is often quicker than getting my miter saw set up.

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.
    I have to eat some humble pie, actually found a good cheap tool. I'm usually in the "nothing more expensive than a cheap tool" camp. But I picked up a Lithium-ion driver from Skil - of all companies -the other day and the darned thing is a winner. Lots of power, tiny size, holds a charge and the light shines right on the tool. Less than $20. I'm not going to install any decks with it, but its perfect for those little chores around the house where you need to get into a tight dark space.

And I'll second card scraper. Saves its cost in sandpaper in no time, lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Schafer View Post
    I bought a $19 japanese pull saw at the BORG and I have used it hundreds of times. It is often quicker than getting my miter saw set up.
    Good call, as I bought mine there as well, though I took the blades and made maple handles for them, some with strong backs at certain depths to the backer for dove cutting.
    Fine woodworking is the art of hiding your mistakes