Thread: Opinions on PC 6 gal pancake compressor?

Opinions on PC 6 gal pancake compressor?

Hey folks! For about a year, the only compressor I've had to run my finish and brad nailers was a small 1.5 gal Husky compressor. It only goes to about 120 psi and the motor isn't that powerful. I can probably shoot 10 or so finish nails before the motor kicks in FWIW. I saw in the HD Black Friday flyer showing that they're going to have a heck of a deal on the PC 6 gal pancake compressor so I was wondering if it'd be a good upgrade. It advertises a higher PSI rating and holds 4x the air of my current compressor.

Do you have any thoughts or opinions on this compressor? Will it handle bigger guns, should I want a framing gun for example? Can I run a small spray gun with this rig? (I know it's far from ideal for spray finishing, but I thought I culd get away with a small gun for small projects maybe).

Any thoughts are welcome. And Happy Thanksgiving!

i use one for finish nailing. works fine for my purposes, i can shoot about 20-25 nails at 100psi before the motor kicks on.

but i don't think it's even close to enough capacity for a spray gun.

I also use one for nailers and it does a good job there. Nowhere near the capacity for a spray gun though - especially HVLP. Another thing to not is that they are noisy buggers as well, I can hardly stand to be in the same room as mine.

You might want to wait for a bigger compressor that can handle bigger tools. I have a large compressor, and a tiny campbell-haufield that works well with the brad nailer and staplers. It's kind of a waste of money to buy another compressor that limits you to small use air tools.... If you have the money to burn, buy a big compressor that will run a good number more tools...

The PC is probably a better unit than the Husky.
    But neither is a wet (oiled) compressor.
    I would wait and get a bigger air compressor and keep the Husky for your nailer needs as a nice portable.
    Most pnuematic nailing is around 100 psi anyway. If you want to spray, you will need more CFM, not higher pressure.
    Think in the long term for your shop. Get a big compressor, oiled type, and a long hose with a reel. (I have a cheapy Harbor Freight reel that has been great for me for a long time, with 100 feet of 1/4" hose).
    I used to use a 2 HP oilled as my main compressor, and had a 3.3 HP Cambell-Hossfield tied in tandem (but staged pressure switches) for volume. Now I use one big 2 stage oiled type (7 HP) for all of my shops needs. And it gets rest between pumpings with my air tools running as much as I want to run them.
    I also "detuned" mine from 175 PSI down to 150 PSI cut-off. Most filters and stuff are rated at 150 PSI MAX working pressure. My biggest nail cannon has a 120 PSI max pressure rating, but runs at about 100 in use. And the 1/4" hose supplies it just fine.
    Think CFM, not high pressures. 5 HP, oiled type compressor.

I have 2 of them. Good compressors.

Yes they will run a spray gun. I run a PSH1 PC gun with it on job sites if I need to spray. Yes it will run a lot when spraying.

Great for small finish nailing.
    I have used a framing nailer with it. Just have to give it a bit of time to catch up once in a while.

LOUD!!! Got rid of mine it was too annoying. But if you are deaf then it is a good compressor and will not die easily.

8. I use one for nailers and topping off the air pressure in my tires. Ditto the noise; I wear muffs when using it (but I wear muffs a lot in the shop anyway -- I got the peltor worktunes deal for creekers) and am planning on building some simple baffles to box it in and dampen the decibel level. But otherwise, it suits my needs. I don't spray, though. When the compressor goes on sale, it usually makes for a pretty good deal.

if a spray gun is the primary need for more compressor, why not look at one of the turbine sprayers?

i got the earlex one based on recommendations from here, and it works great. not nearly as loud as that small compressor and a lot easier to haul around too.

We used one to frame out my brothers basement and it worked fine with the finish nailer. He also used it to spray stain on some woodwork with a small spray gun and had no trouble. If you are going to try running an Impact wrench or something like that forget it as it won't work. It will handle a framing nailer and a very small spray gun.
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.