Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a ROS

I recently bought the older modle PC 343 off amazon for 29.99 single speed model. it works great and the dust collection is alot better that what I had before. But is does leave plenty of dust around. It also vibrates plenty, but the price was right and it does a good job. I have sanded alot with it recently and though it vibrates, it didn't bother me. The only RO sander I have heard stay away from was the milwaukee it was almost uncontrolable but I have never used it, just word of mouth from a friend.

I used a Festool ROS at school - and for an extended time over a semester (many months). It was okay but not that much better than other ROS I've used. The dust collection was good. If someone was working in a client's home where you really needed the better dust collection, it would be worth it because it would save you the time to put up plastic curtains. But for regular shop use, it's not worth it to me.

If I was going to buy a ROS right now, I'd buy the PC 390 because of the brake on it. It's a pain on all sanders to have to hold them until they spin down.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Here's another "regular folk" who recommends Festool. The ETS 150/3 is a lovely finishing sander and the Rotex is a multi-purpose unit. Like all Festool products, they will make your wallet lighter, but you generally get what you pay for in this world.

I had (wore out) a Bosch and liked it. I found a cheapie single speed Makita at a woodworking show a number of years ago for less than thirty bucks which I got for a backup and it works very well. I bought a Porter Cable variable speed about three years ago that does a reasonable job. The reason for variable speed is to go as slowly as possible when sanding off (getting rid of nibs) on some base coat finishes. All three are relatively vibration free. My gripe is that I have yet to use one with a decent dust collection (without hooking a vacuum to it). A friend has a Ridgid and hates (as I do) the switch on it; it's located right where you grip it and turning it on and off inadvertantly is a nuisance.

The main thing I wanted to mention is something my friend got the other day that I didn't know existed. That's a PSA hook and loop pad. No need to buy the hook and loop base for your sander...just stick one of these on. The one that was put on a couple months ago has seen a good bit of use and is performing very well. I don't know what they cost as he was given two of them but can't be very expensive.
    And now for something completely different....

I won't tell you which one to buy but get one that has 8 holes, less dust.

Dennis

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Brogger View Post
    Nobody ever talks about pnuematic ROS on here. Why?
    As to why, I don't see that many posts from folks here with the compressor for it. As to the superiority of a pnuematic for fast removal, I would love one ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    As to why, I don't see that many posts from folks here with the compressor for it. As to the superiority of a pnuematic for fast removal, I would love one ;-)
    Glenn,

To your point, the Festool air sander setup requires an 80 gallon compressor. Don't know a whole lot of people with one of those.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James Hart View Post
    Glenn,

To your point, the Festool air sander setup requires an 80 gallon compressor. Don't know a whole lot of people with one of those.

Jim
    The number of gallons has very little bearing on the equation. It's all about cubic feet per minute of air. Granted, an 80 gallon compressor will most likely have a pump with higher CFM output than a pancake compressor, but the size of the tank the pump is attached to doesn't make a lot of difference.

Get one with 9 holes...

ever "lesser" dust!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Puskar View Post
    I won't tell you which one to buy but get one that has 8 holes, less dust.

Dennis

I have a Craftsman combo sander, that can convert from a ROS to a pad sander. I have used it for years, and while it generally stays ROS, it is convenient to have the pad and detail sanding option.

As to paper, I use 3M discs with slots, not holes. Then they can fit any configuration.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

I've used a

Bosch 3725EVS 5 inch sander for 10 years with only 1 minor problem. I found out that Bosch service was pretty good. If you are a hobbyest this will serve you well. It has low vibration and removes wood aggressively if desired. If you work day in and out in the shop the Festool is a great buy. (A new one like mine 3725DVES costs about $125)
    Just my 2 cents.
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave Malen; 11-28-2008 at 11:41 PM.

Porter cable has served me well for years. All I know of this festool stuff is that where I buy my boxes of mirka sandpaper they were pushing it pretty damn hard. the circular saw I saw didn't do a thing for me with all the plastic on it. Thats all I have to say about that stuff. a sander is something that should fit your hand well, not weigh a ton, and not screw up your work. period.
    Fine woodworking is the art of hiding your mistakes

The PC390 is beefy. It is a lot more vibration than a Festool ETS 150/3 though. With the 150/3 - you can use it for hours and its vibration will not bother you. I had issues with the PC390 vibration after a 3 minute demo at IWF. The PC390 is supposed to be less vibration than a lot of other sanders.

My advice - try them out for yourself. If you have to buy without testing them, and can afford the 150/3 - you will love it. It has nothing to do with impressing anyone. The first time you do not have vibration issues after you are done sanding or your wood surface needs very little touch up after the first coat of finish you will know why you bought it. Good luck.

I had a PC and then bought a Ridgid. Gave the PC away.
    The Ridgid is smoother, quieter, and a lot less vibration.
    http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber
    Last edited by Brian Penning; 11-29-2008 at 5:36 AM.

Air sanders use upwards of 18 CFM. You need a serious compressor to use one.

I have had a makita small 5" Random orbit for 10 years. It simply wont die. It has done some horrible jobs, (sanding cast iron etc.. ). Stubborn old sander..
    I also have a 2 handed Bosch. Its heavy, more powerfull etc. The Bosch vibrates quite a bit and after 20 minutes of use, I have had enough.

When I buy another, it will be a Festool, or a Makita.