Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: table saw: whats the handle under the table?

table saw: whats the handle under the table?

on the front side of my saw (and i recall seeing this on most, if not all saws) right above the height adjustment wheel, there is a little handle that tightens clockwise, and loosens ccw, but i cant tell what it does. its connected to a spur gear that looks like it runs from front to back, but again i cant tell..

what is this thing!? is it supposed to be tight?

also, was cutting some hard maple tonight and got some smoke after a few cuts. i opened the hatch and didnt see much, im guessing a thin strip got hung up for a bit. not a fun site!

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Zick View Post
    on the front side of my saw (and i recall seeing this on most, if not all saws) right above the height adjustment wheel, there is a little handle that tightens clockwise, and loosens ccw, but i cant tell what it does. its connected to a spur gear that looks like it runs from front to back, but again i cant tell..

My guess is it is a locking mechanism so that your blade stays where you adjusted it. Especially helpful for dado cuts so the blade doesn't drop. Mine has one, but I've never used it. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

If it's like my RIDGID TS3650, it keeps the blade angle locked in position (i.e. 90-deg, 45-deg, etc.).

JW

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Zick View Post

also, was cutting some hard maple tonight and got some smoke after a few cuts. i opened the hatch and didnt see much, im guessing a thin strip got hung up for a bit. not a fun site!

AFAIK it's a locking mechanism for the trunnions to make sure the blade stays put. I think it's unique to the Emerson contractor saws....Craftsman/Ridgid.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

5. i do believe it is for locking the trunnions

As the others have said it's for locking the blade in place so it won't move after you've set it. My Delta saws have it mounted on the center of the height adjustment wheel.
    And now for something completely different....

Did your saw not come with a Users Manual?
    Real men don't need directions, BUT Woodworkers love to pour over the literature included with their machines. The real "how-to" is buried somewhere behind the "how-not-to" safety rules.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Blog Entries
    Yep, its the angle lock.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Not unique to any particular brands -- my Ulmia had a handle to lock the blade tilt.

Blog Entries
    On Craftsman saws it locks the blade tilt. I' often forget to lock mine so I don't think it is really necessary, but it must be of benefit in some way. There isn't a similar lock for blade height.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I've heard

you can distort the side of the cabinet where the tilt wheel comes out if you REALLY try to tilt the blade without unlocking this handle first. No first hand experience, mind you but I've heard.

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    you can distort the side of the cabinet where the tilt wheel comes out if you REALLY try to tilt the blade without unlocking this handle first. No first hand experience, mind you but I've heard.

Curt

Way to go Curt! I hope my monitor survives the huge spray of coffee!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks Curt, now I feel better. I did just that a few months ago and had to get a whole new piece as I distorted the thing about 3" in!

well, it doesnt seem to lock the height or bevel wheels. the manual doesnt show it. i assume it could be to lock the bevel, but ive tightened it pretty well and can still move the wheel.

its not stopping me from doing anything, just annoying that i dont know what its for!

thanks for all the replies.

PS - its a grizzly g0478

Blog Entries
    Ok, I went to the grizzly site and looked at a picture of your saw.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-HP...inet-Saw/G0478

The 4th picture from the left shows a red handle up close the the bottom of the table. Is this what you are talking about? I think everyone was thinking about the knob in the center of the blade height and angle wheels. I know that what I was doing. I have a G1023SL and it doesn't have the handle. I have no idea what it does. It also seems pretty hard to believe that the manual doesn't mention it either.

I downloaded and looked at the manual and the only place I sat it mentioned was in the parts list. It looks to me like it has something to do with locking the blade angle. But that is just a guess.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 11-29-2008 at 9:07 AM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.