Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone enjoy cleaning up the shop?

I'm sure anyone that has visited would accuse me of being a neat freak, so I guess I tend to tidy often. The shop is small with lots of machines, so that kind of forces much of the putting away, and for the most part everything does have a "home". I really only get into trouble when I have multiple projects going on. So try to keep it to one at a time. I might do a couple smaller projects while working on a larger one, but try to stay focused. This also can help to motivate me on, because I often want to start the next project. Lastly much of my "cleaning" is at night. Maybe I only have about an hour of shop time. It's nice to head out, turn on the radio, and just clean up a bit. Maybe sharpen a chisel or two, empty the DC bag, or just general farting around. It's funny though, I don't mind cleaning up the shop, sweeping, blowing the dust with the air compressor, etc... but still hate cleaning house. Maybe if I got a air compressor, dust collector, air filter, and concrete floor in the house it would be easier...

John

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Thanks to the good folks at SMC I am learning the value of organization, methods of work, and time/space management.
    I read some where about the #10 rule. Everytime I arrive, leave, take a break, or pass through the shop I put 10 things away. Now I only have to put away 2 or 3 items back because the shop is in pretty good shape.
    It has improved the quantity and quality of my work.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell[b
    I read some where about the #10 rule. Everytime I arrive, leave, take a break, or pass through the shop I put 10 things away. Now I only have to put away 2 or 3 items back because the shop is in pretty good shape.[/b]
    It has improved the quantity and quality of my work.
    Hah! I tried that just the other week. Went through, put away 4 clamps, one of the drills, one of the routers, a tape measure, two pencils and even put the circular saw back in the cabinet. A half hour later, I had no less than a half a dozen clamps out, all three of the cordless drills, two tape measures, PLUS a straightedge ruler, the corded AND cordless circular saws and I'll be dipped if I could remember where I put the pencils!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

It's called efficiency

I am very organized and try to keep things cleaned, but during most projects I have all the tools and stuff everywhere. Unless I know for sure that I am not going to use something again, or its just plain in my way, I ususally just leave it out. Actually, I like the cleaning up piece, strangly enough. I guess it's that little cycle time that gets me int he mood to start something new and make a new mess.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

hehehe...Tonight I've deemed "shop clean-up" night. I'll put everything away, sweep up obvious piles off stuff (sawdust), and then put the car out in the street, get out the leaf blower, don hearing/breathing protection, and GO TO TOWN, BRUDDA!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

But that nice fine red sawdust from the bloodwood looks so pretty on the floor!!

Seriously tho... It was pretty bad last year when I bought my handyman special. I did not have a centralized workshop, so one bedroom became a depository for tools. You would also find a drill on the dining room table, a tape measure in the kitchen, a screwdriver in the bathroom....

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    I think the key to a clean shop is a well-organized shop! If everything has its place, it is easy to put it back upon use!
    I quite agree, Chris. When you know right where a tool is supposed to go, it makes clean-up faster and easier. It's the uncollected sawdust and handplane shavings that take me the most time.

I like to spend 10 minutes at the end of the day putting back what I can. I may not get it all but atleast it's a start. As for dust and chips on the floor I like to sweep up a few times a day, gives me a break and keeps the dust under control. The end of the day is also a good time to do a little sharpening, especially if you have a bunch of blades to tune up and don't feel like having a marathon sharpening session.

I am a neatness freak in my shop, since my limited space requires it. I cannot work well or efficiently in a cluttered shop. That is not to say that it is clean, just tidy. With such limited space, I have no choice but to have a home for every tool, clamp, fastener, etc. A clean workbench, to me, inspires careful work, without wasted effort. Since a tool has to be put away anyway, better to do it now than after the chisel hits the floor, edge first, or course. I have never seen one land in any other way.
    Had I more space, I am sure I would be less compulsive.
    Alan

I knocked a nice pair of calipers off my bench once. Dinged up the inside measuring points pretty good. I ended buying a new one as I couldn't trust this one any longer. Now I am careful to TRY and put it back in its case when I'm setting it down...or keep it in the middle of the bench.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Clean up the shop? I might have to try that some day.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

Mark,

I think there is a more significant issue here than anyone has touched on so far. We all have the same issues when it comes to sawdust, wood scraps and the like. Tools and pizza are something else. Here are some thoughts:

I keep a giant trash can with a disposable liner close at hand. I am always amazed how quickly it fills up with stuff! I think you could stuff a cow in this thing.

If you find your tools and clamps strewn about, it's time to consider a different shop layout. Get your tools and clamps where you need them, not halfway across the room. Norm's portable clamp stand is really quite useful. I built a cabinet for small tools and measuring stuff that hangs immediately above my workbench. I can reach my chisels without a stretch, along with pencils, rulers, try squares, etc. It is just as easy to put them back in place as it is to lay them down.

Finally, I upgraded my small shopvac to a ubervac that cleans the bulk of the sawdust in short order. I follow that with a quick blast of compressed air and voila, the shop is good to go.

BJ

You mean my shop isn't supposed to look an organized mess?????

During a project, I always seem to take a little "shop maintenance" time. The ratio seems to be 4 hours work (or putzing around) to 15 minutes of shop mainteance.

It let's me clean up and set aside drops, clamps, etc. If things get to cluttered, one trip can become the last trip.

Joe in Tampa....

Red face shop cleanup

I need a hand-grenade , sometimes I get in the mood to clean but not enought.When I can,t find something then when I clean. I find things that I have been looking for. Mike