Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fastening OSB to studs ??

Screw on every other OSB panel, and use a combination of box nails, air staples or air nails in the other panels. You get the experience and fun of using all these nifty tools (claw hammer is a lost art,) plus, you have a 50/50 chance of getting behind the right panel later on !! *chuckle*
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

a few minutes extra putting them up with screws will save you or someone down the road alot of time if they ever have to take panels off... the original builder of my garage used long nails and it was a royal pain to get the panels off.

Smile McFeely's

I used square drive from McFeely's. Workshop 20'X22' with 10' ceiling. All interior walls and ceiling 5/8" exterior LUAN from HOGANS. Put in 40+ sheets that way. 1200+ square drive screws can not be beat. Used a Bosch 18 volt driver. I can now hang things on my walls without fear of them peeling from the studs. The exterior OSB was attached the same way . . .

Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

As workshops seem to be in a continual state of development, I'd strongly recommend NOT putting anything - wiring, pipework etc. - inside the insulated cavity. External trunking can be easily modified and added to. Screws seem like a lot of hard work and additional expense, at least unless you have a screw gun - I don't. My OSB lined shop was done with annular shank nails every foot or so. There's no way these will ever loosen. I did need to take one section of walling down to extend - fortunately I employed a contractor as they had the devil of a job taking it all apart. Those annular shanks sure grip well and add a lot of rigidity to the structure.

Mark

I like nails for this....I know using these fancy screw guns and overpriced screws seems to be the way eveyone wants to do it, but seriously how may times are you going to need to get behind a wall once you install the OSB? If once the OSB is hung, you find you need to install another outlet or something its just as easy to drill a hole in the top plate of the wall and fish the wire down the wall to the new outlet or use a fish tape. I'm sorry, coated nails are a lot cheaper and just as strong if you are hanging OSB.

Ring Nails

I just did the inside of my shop/garage with OSB. I used Maze Brand Ring Nails - they are pretty darn tough to pull out. Interesting the Maze Brand nails are still made in the USA. Then I put oil based primer on the OSB to seal it then a coat of Latex Satin.

I used screws to attach the OSB to the walls, with the intention of going back in to add insulation. Wish I had done it before the OSB, but funds were tight at the time. Now I have to go through the trouble of moving and detaching everything that is attached to the wall studs to add insulation.
    But it will be worth it to make the place more comfortable.
    It also helps to gain access to make electrical upgrades later if needed.

I nail it with my Paslode. In my workshop all air and electric lines are surface mounted so when (not if) I want to change something it is much easier to do.