Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mortiser/Tenon Jig or Domino?

Mortiser/Tenon Jig or Domino?

I've been considering the purchase of a benchtop mortiser and a tenoning jig for my TS for some time. I do general woodworking and cabinet making (musical instrument amp and speaker cabinets). I've used a Dewalt biscuit joiner for the small stuff, and drilled/routed mortises when necessary. I'm ready to spring for a Festool ROS and CT22 extractor due to all the sanding I'm doing - and it dawned on me (while "Festdrooling") that the Domino might be a better way to go than the tenon jig/mortiser route.

So, the question - will a Domino eliminate my need for a mortiser, or will I likely need one anyway for larger mortises (furniture) than the Domino can handle?

I just built a Roubo style workbench, and cut 2"x4" mortises by hand - I don't expect either tool to do that - but I don't want to buy a mortiser and a Domino. Will the Domino do most everything I need in this arena?

I would also take a look at and consider the Dowelmax, considerably less than the Domino, With enough dowels, just as strong or stronger, very easy to use, and built in house by our neighbors to the north
    That which does not kill you will likely raise your insurance premiums.

I would suggest looking into this.http://www.mortisepal.com/ Check out the video. I use 6mm Dominos with it. I sold my benchtop mortiser after I started using it. I bought the new 3" capacity one. I have the older 2" version for sale P.M. me if your interested.

If you wanted to make a mortise longer than 3" could you slide it down to make a 6" mortise ....

I have both. Honestly, I haven't used the mortiser since I got the Domino - but I haven't sold it either...

I think the Domino can handle about 80% of what I expect I will ever do, and it's a bazillion times faster. But for some things, like aprons to legs on a heavy dining table, I will still go back to the mortiser.

(I'm not much of a router jig guy, but that's another option for things the Domino can't handle.)

I have a bench top mortiser and don't like the ragged holes it makes. I really like using a router with jig and using loose tenons. You can make the tenons fit perfectly in the smooth router mortises by careful measurements and fabrication. The mortise pal looks very smart but I have a home made jig that works very well. Of course nothing is probably as fast as the Domino.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

And how much does a bagfull of those Domino tenon-thingies cost? Way more than biscuits or home made loose tenons, i bet!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Massery View Post
    I would suggest looking into this.http://www.mortisepal.com/ Check out the video. I use 6mm Dominos with it. I sold my benchtop mortiser after I started using it. I bought the new 3" capacity one. I have the older 2" version for sale P.M. me if your interested.
    Russ,

That's a great little tool!! I like the principal and ease of use... I have 2 plunge routers already and the price for one of these plus a few goodies is less than half of the Festool Domino Joiner...
    Last edited by Bob Genovesi; 11-29-2008 at 8:11 PM.

Jay, The answer is yes. You can make the mortise as long as you need. Here's some samples of what I've been able to do with the jig outside of the suggestion of the manufacture. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=94523
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Russ Massery; 11-29-2008 at 9:14 PM.

Go check Deals and Discounts. People are getting a floor model Jet mortiser for $345.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Definitely give Jerry Work's article on the Domino a read and see if it will cover your needs. I have one and am very impressed by it so far. The Dominos are expensive for what they are but, for me, not as expensive as time.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Massery View Post
    What a great little tool! I have always liked the loose tenon and mortise joint but never liked the setup or jig making. This thing eliminates that part altogether. Another thing I like is that with a Domino or biscuit cutter you sometimes have the tendency to slip a little bit or not have the fence planted firmly spoiling the registration to the work piece. Since this things clamps to the piece its pretty unlikely that it will slip thus the registration is always the same from piece to piece. Its something Im going to look into more for sure!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I bought the Domino this summer when I had a job that required about 60 m&t joints. From lay out to cutting it only took about an hour. It paid for itself on that job.
    Just this last week I had to make some wood frames for glass shelves. The stock was 3/4" thick and 1 1/2" wide and the corners were mitered. Each of the joints went together perfectly. I don't think I could've done this with the dowelmax, mortisepal or a mortiser. If I could've I'm sure it wouldn't have been nearly as safe and it would've taken longer.
    You'll have to decide for yourself what will best suit your needs. As for me now that I have this thing there's no way I'd give it up. Oh yeah, did I mention that when it's hooked up to a vac there is zero clean up involved.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I guess it really sounds like "to each his own" with regard to joinery. I'm going to pick up Russ's "Mortise Pal" and give that a whirl. I think I'll hold off on the dedicated mortiser until I've worked with the Mortise Pal for a while. The Dowelmax looks cool too. I guess they all work. If I have a project with a lot of joints to make, maybe I'll consider the Domino. I really like the idea that the dust collection is integral.

Thanks to all for your thoughtful responses.

For something like amp/speaker cabs I think the Kehoe jig that popped up recently on this thread would be ideal
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30303
    Use the fence Luke