Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Gloat and Update

Grizzly Gloat and Update

After months of deliberation, web surfing, and road trips to inspect several machines, I finally pulled the trigger on one of Grizzly's 12" jointer/planer combination machines with the indexable carbide spiral head (G0634). I picked the Grizzly after also considering the models put out by Jet and Mini Max. Although all 3 models are great machines, the Grizzy finally won out because of 1) fantastic fit and finish of the machine, rivaling Mini Max, 2) Grizzly's outstanding reputation for customer service, and 3) the indexable carbide cutterhead.

Perhaps I'll someday post a full review of the machine, but for now I'll just echo what others have reported. The machine was crated very well and arrived without incident. After uncrating, cleaning, and inspecting, I've found the tables to be as flat as I can measure. Everything else was in alignment also. Running, the machine is very quiet and powerful. I tried to bog the machine down face jointing some 10" wide seasoned white oak, but it just went right through it. All in all, it's probably the last jointer/planer I'll ever need or want.

Of course, I had to have something to suck up all the dust this thing will make, so I also picked up Grizzly's 2 hp canister DC, G0548. Although I badly wanted a cyclone, I couldn't justify the size it would occupy in my small shop (28 x 12). When I eventually get around to expanding the shop (probably to a 28 x 40), I'll look at a cyclone then. Until then, the G0548 appears to be a great portable DC, with 1 micron filtration and, like the combo machine, great fit and finish.

By the way, you'll note in the background of 2 pictures the progress of my Powermatic 81 restoration (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=86269). I've been traveling a lot this year, so it's been slow going so far. But, the holiday season is in full swing, which promises to bring with it less travel and more shop time. Just today I was able to remove, disassemble, and clean the top wheel assembly. Even got a couple of parts painted. I hope to be able to post shortly after the first of the year with a full restoration description!

Once I get the Powermatic up and running, I'm going to experiment with a bandsaw-centric shop arrangement. Again, with my shop size and shape, I'd have difficulty fitting a tablesaw in. Once I expand, I'm sure a tablesaw will find its way here, but I'm curious to see what I can accomplish with the bandsaw, jointer/planer, and Festool TS55. A new bed for my lovely wife is first on the list!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Where will you be when you get where you're going? -- Jerry Clower

Glad to hear you like the machine. I've been looking at this type of machine and the Grizzly certainly is attractive based on price. Let us know how it works out.

I'm lusting that machine as well. Please post a full review. Also looking into the 10" model due at soon.

I saw the video on the MiniMax, do the tables fold up and back on the Grizzly for planing like on the MiniMax?

Just pulled the trigger on one myself. Waiting for it to arrive.

I can help you there Paul.

Yes, it is similar to the Mini Max in that the two sides fold up and back independently. The exception is that you have to remove the fence first, which takes just seconds. So you do lose your fence set-up on the jointer it would seem during the process. This was told to me by Grizzly technical when I inquired about the machine. Ben will have to let us know how this works out in practice. It's one of those things I am the most curious about.

If you download the manual from Grizzly, it gives you full details.

http://www.grizzlyindustrial.com/ima...ls/g0634_m.pdf

Amazon has some really nice photos of the G0633 (straight cutterhead brother of the G0634) and shows it folded up and back.

http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G0633-...8137072&sr=1-1

One of the guys I read a review of on the early versions of the G0633 said he had to remove one of the tables and do a little grinding on one of the hinge points within the machine to get it to fold back nicely. Some kind of a casting interference issue. I hope Grizzly has corrected this issue now, or it was just a fluke on that guy's machine. Does yours fold back smoothly without any kind of abnormal resistance Ben?

I do like Mini Max's steel fence. (Grizzly & Jet's are aluminum extrusions) But with the Grizzly coming in a half the price, I can have a steel fence made and still save several thousand dollars!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Greathouse View Post
    I saw the video on the MiniMax, do the tables fold up and back on the Grizzly for planing like on the MiniMax?

I was in Grizzly's Muncy warehouse last week and they had one of those for $700! Tables were slightly pitted and some scratches in the paint, but still appeared perfectly functional.

Thanks, Scott

Odd that Amazon has more pictures than the Grizzly site. I would be curious to know how finicky the fence is to set back up after removal.

Yep, like Scott mentioned, the infeed and outfeed tables fold back independently. You do have to remove the fence assembly, but that's a piece of cake. All in all, it takes less than a minute to make the conversion.

Scott is right that a review on another forum noted some minor quality issues, including a small error in the table casting and loose wiring in the cabinet. My first task after getting the machine set up was to check for these specific issues, and they do not exist on my machine. I can't find anything on the machine that doesn't measure up to my expectations of high quality. Perhaps the post on the other forum had an early-model machine, and that Grizzly has taken care of these little issues.

Fences on machines such as this is a double-edged sword. Sure, a steel fence would be nice but, with this design where you must remove the fence to convert to planer mode, it would be awfully heavy. Already, the fence assembly is pretty hefty, and replacing the alumimum extrusion with a steel fence would make it too heavy for some. As it is, the aluminum fence is beefy and probably stronger than it has to be.

I didn't know Grizzly was coming out with a 10" model. I considered their 16" model made in Germany, but I actually liked the design of the 12" model better, particularly the carbide cutterhead.

Rick, you'll have to let us know how you like yours.

$700? Wow, that's the deal of the year!
    Where will you be when you get where you're going? -- Jerry Clower

Looks like you bought out the store. You have a couple of Grizzly's finest and they will give you years of faithful service.
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

Ben;
    I think you will really like this machine, I have been using it since July and I'm impressed with its performance. I have had no real issues with my 634 (except for my own making). I have found that with minor tweaking the fence issue is minimal and will return to 90 degrees accurately every time. I can see that you could lose the fence position back and forth, but not the 90 degree position.
    I made a holder for the fence and guard when using the planer mode so I won't have to set them on the ground, that helps a lot.
    For me this was a wise choice and I intend on using it for many years to come.
    Best of luck with yours!
    History teaches us that both men and nations behave wisely,
    once they have exhausted all other alternatives~~Abba Eban

Congratulations Ben. I hope you'll give us a review.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I decided against the 12" J/P when I discovered that a large piece sticks excessively far off the back of the machine. This would prevent it from being stored tightly against a wall or tablesaw. In every Grizzly photo of either the G0633 or G0634, this detail is hidden or cropped out. It seems intentional.

Look at page 16, figure 7 and page 17, figure 8. These are the only indications I could find.
    http://www.grizzly.com/images/manuals/g0633_m.pdf

Could you post some pictures of this detail and maybe comment on whether its a space problem?

I highly doubt it was intentional chet. The pictures they have on the website is the same "glamor" shot as all the other jointers. Some have pictures from the back/side, some don't.

I see your point though, that the j/p needs will stick out 3.5' from the wall.

Wow! That's a bummer. It does stick out quite a ways. That's something I hadn't considered and am glad you pointed it out. Looking through the manual, it doesn't look like something that comes off with the fence either. Looks like a big round steel rod with a rack gear down the side for the fence adjustments. I looked at the Jet and I don't think it sticks out quite that badly, but Jet's fence system is a bit cheezier. I wonder about the Mini Max. I can't find any drawings of either the Jet or the Mini Max for how much floor space they take up.

Perhaps I need to cut a hole in the wall!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by chet jamio View Post
    I decided against the 12" J/P when I discovered that a large piece sticks excessively far off the back of the machine. This would prevent it from being stored tightly against a wall or tablesaw. In every Grizzly photo of either the G0633 or G0634, this detail is hidden or cropped out. It seems intentional.

Look at page 16, figure 7 and page 17, figure 8. These are the only indications I could find.
    http://www.grizzly.com/images/manuals/g0633_m.pdf

Could you post some pictures of this detail and maybe comment on whether its a space problem?