Thread: new blades

Talking new blades

Has anyone ever thought of having a machine shop make new blades for your planer? they can make better ones than new. Mike

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stanton
    Has anyone ever thought of having a machine shop make new blades for your planer? they can make better ones than new. Mike
    Not really. The typical decent machine shop could give you a good grind but probably no better than the local sharpening shop. It’s all in the quality of the steel used, and just as important, the quality of the heat treatment.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

re: New Blades

Yes, done it a couple of times. Originally, I had a couple of sets made for my 12" Delta planer and last year, for my 18" Woodmaster planer. In each case, the quality of the steel was better, a little more expense but stay sharper longer. I will probably buy more sets in the future.

The shop I worked with are quite professional and even make their own saw blades. But I guess that making planer/joiner blades are not too complicated so most machine shops should be able to produce them.

Joe

Cool saw blades

Where did you have yours made, and how much. I have three blades on my planer. Mike

Getting Planer Blades Made

Mike,

Sorry I took so long to reply --- I somehow missed your question.

I purchase some 12 1/2 blades for my Delta 22-560 planer through Jesada some years back and still have them. Not sure what I paid but they now cost $31.90, I think the same as Delta blades.

I also purchased some through American Carbine in Hatboro PA, 800-537-2371. I remember they were good but do not have them any more. They too cost about the same as Delta.

A couple of years back, I was able to purchase 10 Delta planer blades for something like $20.00 each so I haven't checked the prices for a while.

The one thing I remember is that no body I could find wanted to sharpen them because they were two sided and if they did, wanted to charge more than the $.50 an inch I'm normally charged. So it would cost me more to have them sharpen then buying new ones (at the $20.00). They did mentioned that what would be best just to get blades that are sharpen on one side then all those other problems would go away.

Last year I purchased blades for my 18" Woodmaster from American Carbine. They in turn, ordered the blades from American National Knife, Hickory, NC, 800-533-7117. I'm not sure if American National supplied just the blanks or the finish product. And I think the cost was about the same as if I ordered from Woodmaster (around $80.00 for the three blades). They were definitely better than Woodmaster.

Hope the above helps you.

Regards, Joe