Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dream Machine

I have to say that I had never heard of a Robust Lathe. The design and the engineering looks great!
    Wood works well with winter

Serious

I was looking at the other lathes mentioned in this thread. I found an Oregon manufacturer -- Serious Tools -- http://www.seriouslathe.com/ and took a closer look. Is there any reason you would prefer any of the brands mentioned over a Serious? I am still in the choosing stage, with concrete floors, and 3 phase power if needed. The Serious is not 3 phase, but it is SOLID!

Any thoughts?

Phil

Thankful to have my dream machine, VB 36. Love it!

Jude

That Serious lathe has serious weight !! I would think that putting the motor lower would indeed aid in stability.

The one thing I wanted was the ability to move the head.

I took a class where they had lathes with movable heads and the ability to move the head made a difference in how you could work with different size wood. Also the ability to move the head so you could work off the end or even go full outboard became important for me - I could see the benefit and the safety of the design. I also found that the normal setup placed the lathe head a bit taller than I liked -- so the ability to adjust the height became an issue for me also.

I ended up with a Robust 25 -- it is more lathe that I need at this point -- but one fine unit. The Robust uses Stainless Steel in the ways -- very smooth and no rust Height adjustable - and a wonderful outboard turning attachment coupled with a tail-stock that moves out of the way.

One reason I didn't consider the Serious and Oneway lathes, and that is the lack of the sliding headstock. My lathe sits in a corner, so outboard turning isn't an option. The sliding headstock is a must for me and my back. VB 36 looks very nice, but no matter the configuration, it says 'Bowl Lathe' to me, and I do turn other things.
    robo hippy

I have a PM3520A now. What I'd really like is a 25x25 shop, but if we're talking only lathes, the Robust would be the lathe to get. The reason not to choose the Serious Lathe, has more to do with my not knowing how long they will be around, than anything else.

I have seen the Robust & Serious lathes up close. I really like some of the enhancements that the Robust has:

• Tailstock swing.
    • toolrest
    • adjustable height legs.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Well, since we're dreaming......

Oneway 2436 with the outboard platform and all the bells and whistles (and a shop big enough to house it). They've been around a long time and that ought to count for a lot (at least in my book). However, in my current shop, probably a Stubby for its footprint, capacity, quality etc etc.

Steve Kubien

Reed, the Stubby 750 handles up to 30" inboard and can do spindles for furniture just fine as long as they don't exceed about 30". (With the shorter Jordan sized ways) It's definitely an alternative to the VB in that you can have that flexibility without a lot of add-ons. I needed the small footprint, too, so that also pointed to Stubby.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Oneway rip-off maybe ???
    Have fun and take care

Strange no one mentioned the 3520B which previously everyone was ga-ga over, and which is why I selected it . The way the bearings are screaming, think my pick would be the Oneway.....and have been thinking about it for a while. Nuts, its only a dream....one of each for 10-year trial. Seems we have been had by the PM folks.

Hmm... probably a Yates American J-line for me. I think the model I'm thinking of is the J-170... beautiful machine.

-Michael

Jim,
    One other reason for not looking seriously at the Stubby is that none of the bowl coring systems will fit on it. This is according to a friend who has one.
    robo hippy

Chris,
    The bearings on your PowerMatic can't be more than $10 or so apiece at any local bearing supplier. They are not that hard to tap out. Less than an hour. If you were to change the belt, you would be half way there. Remove the two bearings and take them to a bearing supplier, and they will measure them and hand you 2 new ones. They will likely even have good better and best in stock.

Better than new when done.

I guess it doesn't hurt to dream big, but I remember when the 55 year old Oliver I turn on now was my dream machine. And it still is a heck of a nice lathe. Too bad they don't make them like they used to. But over the years of my turning evolution I've found that it isn't the lathe that makes the beautiful work I see so much as the turning skills, the artistic touch, and some nice wood is also essential. So for my dream I'm going to go with a combination of the talent and eye for form that some of my woodturning idols possess along with the patience to sand and re-sand until the finish is perfect, and throw in a never ending supply of burl and figured wood of every kind. If I can get that, I'll make do with the old Oliver.

Dream on!

When I had to replace the bearings on my PM3520A, I got the bearings and a belt, and got it to a tool repair place, and had all that done for less than I could get the parts for from PM. I could never have done it myself, the bearings and spindle were rusted in place. I turn a lot of wet wood.
    robo hippy