Thread: Reaney & Wood Plane Iron

Reaney & Wood Plane Iron

Hello all, as I have mentioned in other threads, I often just use the things handed down to me, but posting here has made me look at labels alot closer of late. What can you guys tell me about a Reaney & Wood Sheffield plane iron? It isn't in the best of shape, but I might be able to get it there, and make a body for it. Any insight?
    Fine woodworking is the art of hiding your mistakes

A stumper? for this tool savvy crowd? I wouldn't think it possible.

truth be told, I could only find a company reference in Sheffield in 1827... not a drop more... google failed me.
    Fine woodworking is the art of hiding your mistakes

I dug a bit deeper and found that name in Sheffield in 1857, 33 Mathew St. edge and joiners tool mfgs.

Possibly they made irons that others used in their planes, not much help but something.
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

Don McConnell has the biggest data base of British tool makers that I know of. I don't have his updated information and, frankly, I doubt anyone will see it unless it's published. Don is rather annoyed the information from his book on British saws was just published on the Internet. He spent years researching all this and continues today. I haven't asked for his updated information and won't.

Here's what was in his old database on Reaney and Wood:

Reaney & Wood
    Sheffield
    1849-1855
    50 Bernard Street
    , Park
    (William Reaney & Daniel Wood)

The dates given by Larry are accurate for the period in which Reaney & Wood (primarily edge and joiners' tool manufacturers) were also included in the trades listings as saw-makers. As best I've been able to determine, their overall working dates (give or take a year or two on either end) were:

REANEY & WOOD, working dates: 1837 - 1863
    Bernard Works, 50 Bernard Street, Park
    Sheffield
    (William Reaney & Daniel Wood)

Sheffield edge tool manufacturers commonly included plane irons as part of their line of products.

The Reaney & Wood mark may have continued in use after the 1863 date, as there were a couple of succeeding firms. William Reaney & Son were in business at the same location between about 1865 and 1872, while Reaney & Heathcote continued between about 1876 to 1883. Finally, Ken Roberts reported a D. Wood & Co. (possibly Daniel Wood?), briefly in business on Effingham Road between about 1863 and 1865.

I have yet to find any evidence for the continued use of the Reaney & Wood mark, though, so am inclined to think your plane iron was likely made during the 1837 to 1863 time frame.

Don McConnell
    Eureka Springs, AR