Thread: Mystery Band Saw - Conestoga?

Mystery Band Saw - Conestoga?

I was perusing my local Craigslist this morning when I came across a 14" Band Saw for sale. It's a "Conestoga Woodworking Machines" brand, which I've never heard of. The label says it was made in 1990, and, in the pictures, it looks to have a somewhat rusty cast iron table. I tried a Google search - they don't appear to have a website but there is a business listing for "Conestoga Woodworking Machines" under the category "Industrial Equipment" here in Central PA - not far from where this particular saw is located.

Has anybody ever heard of this saw?
    Last edited by Mike Hess; 12-03-2008 at 9:37 AM.

Give us the CL path so we can take a look at it, Mike.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Of course I can't speak for Mike, but I would bet it is this CL item
    http://lancaster.craigslist.org/tls/942562390.html

I logged in this morning and had the same question. I had never heard Conestoga woodworking tools.

Conestoga Machines is located in Lanc. Pa.,just outside of Blue Ball. They are direct importers of machines from Taiwan. The problem is that they change mfg. from time to time and don't always have spare parts. You would be better off with Grizzly, Bridgewood or Jet.
    David Werkheiser

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Warner View Post
    Of course I can't speak for Mike, but I would bet it is this CL item
    http://lancaster.craigslist.org/tls/942562390.html

I logged in this morning and had the same question. I had never heard Conestoga woodworking tools.
    Yep, that's the one!

Quote Originally Posted by David Werkheiser View Post
    Conestoga Machines is located in Lanc. Pa.,just outside of Blue Ball. They are direct importers of machines from Taiwan. The problem is that they change mfg. from time to time and don't always have spare parts. You would be better off with Grizzly, Bridgewood or Jet.
    David Werkheiser
    That's what I was afraid of. I thought that maybe they were a high quality machine that was actually made in Lancaster PA, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Meh - oh well.

If they were really the bandsaws used to make

Conestoga wagons, they'd be a mite older.

Quote Originally Posted by David Werkheiser View Post
    David Werkheiser
    Dave I understand that we all want top of the line tools, but some us cannot afford that much cash for a hobby tool or even a work tool in these tough times. I also by no means saying that Mike either can ,or cannot afford said tools. Just please remember that some of us are doing the best we can with what we got and are looking for a good bargin on CL or anyother place. Thanks for your Time,

Best Regards
    Chuck

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Durst View Post
    Dave I understand that we all want top of the line tools, but some us cannot afford that much cash for a hobby tool or even a work tool in these tough times. I also by no means saying that Mike either can ,or cannot afford said tools. Just please remember that some of us are doing the best we can with what we got and are looking for a good bargin on CL or anyother place. Thanks for your Time,

Best Regards
    Chuck
    Chuck, Dave was just stating the facts. Any machine that you can’t get replacement parts for is not a good investment. I would not consider “Grizzly, Bridgewood or Jet” top of the line machinery, but they do have good parts support and can sometimes be found relatively cheap.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Chuck, You are right, a lot of people are just getting started and money is tight, $100 is not a bad price for a band saw. After all, whats to go wrong except the motor and two bearings. When I was first getting started I bought a Grizzly 15" planer with-out motor from an Amish man that had it hooked up to a 45hp. hydraulic motor for $200. The funny thing is that I bought a mag. starter and 2hp. motor from Conestoga for $100 (they sell to a lot of start up Amish w/w shops that don't need motors).
    Mike, not far from Conestoga is "Hoover Repair" ph.# 717 354 2583 he sells and rebuilds machinery, his prices are fair and is great to deal with.