Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite cold remedy

Nasal spray (pretty much any of them) usually help unblock some of that stuffiness but wont completely get rid of it. One weird thing that seems to give me some temporary relief is sucking on an ice cube. Seems like the cold helps unstuff you briefly. Dont ask me why this works.
    Use the fence Luke

Belinda,

One of the best ways to avoid getting colds is to avoid caffiene! Believe it or not. Adele Davis strongly recommended the no-caffiene route to keep one from getting colds and cold sores (fever blisters) and canker sores. Seems that beverages with caffiene leach vitamins from your body when they are eliminated, and those vitamins are the key to keeping colds and cold sores away from you. When I went completely off caffiene, I went from having multiple cold sores and about 6 colds a year to going for 1-1/2 years without a cold sore and maybe one cold a year. But....disclaimer follows....going off caffiene cold turkey will put you in bed with a killer headache that will make you want caffiene. Best to gradually reduce intake until you are completely off the stuff. DAMHKIT.

Also, when I have a stuffy head, it usually clears, at least for a while, when I sneeze. So, keep some cayenne pepper handy and make yourself sneeze.
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    So, what is your best tried and true remedy? I can deal with most all of the symptoms except the sinus cavities "stuffed full of cotton" sensation, and the pain in my head every time I cough.
    Booze, Nyquil, and sleep. Easy on the booze (just a bump, or two), heavy on the Nyquil, heavy on the sleep. Lots of water too, hydration is important sick or not.

...... also use a saline spray/rinse in your nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Brogger View Post
    Booze, Nyquil, and sleep. Easy on the booze (just a bump, or two), heavy on the Nyquil, heavy on the sleep. Lots of water too, hydration is important sick or not.

Way to go Karl, Thats my second best cold remedy.(but heavy on the booze)

Usually I just will the cold out of my system.

I usually tell people, Nyquil and a beer before bed...Nyquil because it works and beer because the Nyquil tastes nasty!!!

What I did the last time I had a cold was to use Claritin-D and it worked quite well at keeping things clear. I had some left over from a sinus infection last year. At the time, the doc told me when things start filling up you need to get the schnott out of your head where it can fester and stew and become a breeding ground for infection. I tried it for a cold....coupled with an Advil for any accompanying headache or sore throat, lots of fluids and rest, I was good to go - and I didn't feel weird/off or drowsy from the medicine.

Good luck,
    -joe
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Best Remedy: Don't get sick in the first place!!!

I bike to/from work and thus amass 28 miles per day. The 14 mile one way takes me about 50-55 minutes so I get a fair amount of cardio in 5 days/week. I've been doing this for the past 3 years and have noticed a sharp decline in getting colds. It seems my wife and kid are sick 5-10x more than I am.
    Sound advice. I never get colds when I am in good shape. If I slack off for a couple of months BOOM! Chest cold.

I'm with Chris and Bonnie on this one. I run 4 miles a day and use the saline nasal rinse to keep nasal/sinus passages from drying out. Also use a lot of Purell at work plus frequent hand washing. Seems to work well for me.

Black licorice throat lozenges. I don't think I've ever found any that are 100% natural (they always seem to have some artificial flavoring). But they have helped me reduce the severity of colds for quite some time now.

I been using the new zinc based products for the past couple years. Coldeze and the store brand. You have to take them the first day to work but they actually do work.

My son and I just knocked an oncoming cold out in a day taking the medicine while my wife and daughter have been stragling for a week and a half not taking anything.

I have to agree though, that being healthy and exercising is the best prevention. I never got sick as a teenager playing football, basketball, and weightlifting regular.
    Last edited by Joe Petersen; 12-03-2008 at 8:41 PM. Reason: spelling
    MMMMMMMMMMMBEEEEEERRRRRRRGOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDD!!! !!

Thanks again everyone for all of the wonderful advice. I didn't travel last year for the holidays and didn't get a cold. It is really weird, but everytime I visit family for Thanksgiving I get a cold. It is the only time of year that I am sick. Otherwise, I'm pretty healthy.

I typically work out three to four days a week. However, back in August I had some health problems, went to the doctor, and she forbade cardio until we checked everything out. Approximately $5,000 and a numerous tests later, I am cleared to "ease back into" cardio again as of last Monday. So, maybe being out of my routine for several months has something to do with how I'm coping with this cold.

When I got home from work last night I had a temp of 101, with chills. So I donned two pairs of pajamas, took some Tylenol, and crawled under my snuggly blankie. After about an hour the fever broke. Nyquil worked pretty well last night so I was able to sleep. I'm blowing my nose frequently and using the saline spray. I know, TMI!! So far this a.m., at 8:36, I've had three bottles of water - and no alcohol even though I'm sure it is 5 o'clock somewhere.

Thanks again all. Oh, and sorry Jason, I just can't do the garlic. I'll just take your work that it works!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Chicken Soup. Really...

But Zycam does help, at least with Professor Dr. SWMBO and I, at cutting down the extent and length of a cold.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Chicken noodle soup..the cheap campbells version
    Tea with honey and milk
    Alkaseltzer cold gel tabs, use the night time ones if your home, regular if you have to funtion.

Works for me and the blond I'm married to...

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Sounds like the stress of travel illness. Your immune system really takes a beating around the holidays, add travel and often you'll get sick. Also with the added stress you had this year it was almost bound to happen. Hope you're feeling better soon!

I agree with the chicken soup. And if you don't feel up to noodles, just have hot chicken broth. It helps clear the congestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie Campbell View Post
    Sounds like the stress of travel illness. Your immune system really takes a beating around the holidays, add travel and often you'll get sick. Also with the added stress you had this year it was almost bound to happen. Hope you're feeling better soon!

I agree with the chicken soup. And if you don't feel up to noodles, just have hot chicken broth. It helps clear the congestion.
    You are probably right about the stress this year, Bonnie. I didn't sleep well for several nights leading up to the holiday.

I prefer beef broth to chicken, but on your advice, and Jim's, I have chicken soup slated for lunch.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra