Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Yankee Workshop, Season 21 for 2009

New Yankee Workshop, Season 21 for 2009

http://www.newyankee.com/2009.php

I guess Norm is recycling this year. Old programs with new introductions.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

That stinks.

Is Norm trolling all of us?

I'm thinkin ol Norm has went and retired on us.

In some circles, you are only as good as your last project. Norm isn't going to stay where he is by introducing re-runs.

No big deal for me. My local PBS station only recently began broadcasting the 2008 shows. But they didn't show it at all last weekend.

I can't blame Norm for wanting to take a break. Sheesh, he's been going strong for twenty straight years. I'm wiped out and ready to retire and Norm's older than I am.

I would have liked to see him re-do these projects, and make changes if he felt they were necessary after all the years.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post

I can't blame Norm for wanting to take a break. Sheesh, he's been going strong for twenty straight years. I'm wiped out and ready to retire and Norm's older than I am.
    I agree with Pat. Heck even David Marks commended him for his stick to-it-tive-ness. These shows take 10-15 hours per day for a solid week to get the footage needed for 1 show.

Ya, I think he deserves a break or retirement. Either way , hell still be a legend.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Didn't Norm hint in a magazine article from a year or two ago that he was looking at retiring in the near future from the show? Maybe the weaning process has begun.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

PBS Detroit has not been showing Norm for some time, DIY has replaced woodworking shows with hours of "Cool Tools" I would rather watch Norm and Dave reruns.
    Does anyone watch Cool Tools?
    Mike

Well that just ruined my Saturday morning I’ve seen every episode that is scheduled. Norm is the reason for me getting into woodworking. I hope that this is just one season we have to persevere and that Norm will be back in the fall with a new line up.

Greg

11. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sheppard View Post
    PBS Detroit has not been showing Norm for some time, DIY has replaced woodworking shows with hours of "Cool Tools" I would rather watch Norm and Dave reruns.
    Does anyone watch Cool Tools?
    Mike

Mike, I watch Cool Tools on DIY. The host is different, like he drinks 12 cups of coffee before he shoots for the camera. Someone needs to take about 6 of those cups of coffee away from him. When I first saw the show, the guy was very annoying to me. But I have since, gotten somewhat used to him. He doesn't seem to know a lot about tools, but I think he is more of a host/performer, than a tool expert. I think that is what the show is about though, introducing viewers to new tools/devices that come onto the market. I have certainly learned about tools/devices that I would have never known about, and that I will definitely buy. I was watching last night and I saw at least 3 or 4 things that were new to me, and that I am going to find locally, or online. Example, washing machine supply lines, also for sinks and toilets, that senses an immediate surge in water flow, and shuts the water off where the supply hose connects to the water source. I can't remember the name, but those would save major headaches if supply line burst when we are not at home. But yeah, I do agree, that he needs to tone it down a notch or two, but overall, I think he is doing pretty well. Regards, Bill

Concerning Cool Tools on DIY, I enjoy seeing the new tools, but don't enjoy what appears to be re-run on top of re-run.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Anderson View Post
    Example, washing machine supply lines, also for sinks and toilets, that senses an immediate surge in water flow, and shuts the water off where the supply hose connects to the water source.
    Those are cool, but they're not new. I first saw them installed in an episode of This Old House over ten years ago.

Consider Norm had been doing This Old House for awhile before New Yankee Workshop began. It's been a long run for Norm. If he wants to take it easy and go on a few cruises with his family, he has certainly earned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    Those are cool, but they're not new. I first saw them installed in an episode of This Old House over ten years ago.

Consider Norm had been doing This Old House for awhile before New Yankee Workshop began. It's been a long run for Norm. If he wants to take it easy and go on a few cruises with his family, he has certainly earned it.
    I didn't see that episode Pat. I am going to install those on the supply lines in our house.

I agree Norm has long deserved a break. I don't see how he has kept going this long. I still enjoy watching him though. If he can take a year or two off, and then come back refreshed and ready to go another 20 years, then I will be patient, and wait. So enjoy your time off Norm. I will be ready to watch whenever you feel like returning. Best wishes, Bill (Like he will ever read this)

I've noticed in recent NYW shows that whenever they show a close-up of Norm's hands he's shaking pretty bad.....Maybe he can't work the projects as before and this is his way of not showing his diminishing dexterity.

Sad to say, but it's probably time for the old master to retire........
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other