Thread: Help with shop layout

Help with shop layout

I am getting to the point of seriously planning to layout my new shop. It shares a roof with my boat shed but will basically be 28' x 10'. I know it's pretty narrow, so I really need a good plan to lay this out. My current thoughts are to line as much down one wall as possible with possibly a workbench on one of the short walls. I have a lot to fit in here and there will be expansion in the future, but this is what I have to work with right now. Current tools that will need dedicated space:

Table Saw
    14" Radial Arm Saw
    Band Saw
    Miter Station
    6in Jointer
    Shaper
    13" Planer

I would like to share infeed outfeed space as much as possible. I know you guys know what you'r doing so I'm counting on some bigtime help.

There are no walls as of now, just a concrete pad, so I don't have any problems with doors, etc. I would like to have a 36" man door and a 6' - 8' sliding door. Thanks in advance for all the help.

-Todd

Oh - one more thing

I would like to have DC in the shop as well.

Todd,
    Taunton Publishing put out a book in 2004 entitled "Small Woodworking Shops" that has an entry nearly describing your layout. On page 36 is the start of an entry called "Smart Shop in a One-Car Garage". This was reproduced from an article that had appeared in Fine Woodworking magazine. I think it might give you some good ideas given the shape of your shop.
    Kev

As a hobby woodworker for over 40 years, I've come to realize that you don't want a permanant layout. You will want to change the layout as projects change so keep it flexible.

I'm only a hobbyist, but the only predictable thing for me is that most wood goes from jointer to planer to table saw, so keep these machines together and leave room for the jointer and planer to handle long boards. These machines also generate the most chips/dust, so have them close to the DC with large diameter hoses.

Other workflows for me are ad-hoc or unpredictable, so location isn't as important.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger Jensen; 12-05-2008 at 7:04 PM.

Post a floorplan

Post a scale floorplan with walls with the doors and windows marked and I am sure you will get more feedback. It's tough to help without a starting point.