Thread: Great woodworking show

Great woodworking show

I want to make sure that you all (or y'all -- for those in the south) know about this show: The American Woodshop on PBS.

I have been watching this show -- Scott Phillips is the host. I find the show to be really great, because he explains what he is doing as he does it. I really learn a lot from each show.

I watched one on the Mission Bookcase and wanted the plan. After finding the website, I sent a note asking about a plan, and he (Scott!) offered to get one to me. What a nice thing to do.

I hope that you will all watch it and that you enjoy it as much as I do!

Ray

Is this the guy that does everything my hand?

No. It is a general woodworking / furniture-building show. I know the one that you mean, but can't remember the name.

The Woodwrights Shop was the one with only hand tools. I haven't seen that in a long time.

Scott lives about 30 minutes from me in Piqua, OH I believe, he makes reguarr appearances at our local Woodcraft Store

I have exchanged a couple of notes with him. I really am looking forward to his other shows. I think that I have seen two so far -- the one on the Mission Bookcase, and I can't remember the other. He seems like a great guy ... and very knowledgable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Schafer View Post
    No. It is a general woodworking / furniture-building show. I know the one that you mean, but can't remember the name.
    Roy Underhill, Woodwrights
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

That show has been on for about 15 years.

You can watch reruns here...

www.thewoodworkingchannel.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Schafer View Post
    I want to make sure that you all (or y'all -- for those in the south) know about this show: The American Woodshop on PBS.

I have been watching this show -- Scott Phillips is the host. I find the show to be really great, because he explains what he is doing as he does it. I really learn a lot from each show.

I watched one on the Mission Bookcase and wanted the plan. After finding the website, I sent a note asking about a plan, and he (Scott!) offered to get one to me. What a nice thing to do.

I hope that you will all watch it and that you enjoy it as much as I do!

Ray

latest episode

I hope that you guys have seen the latest episode -- it is the drop-down coomputer desk. Scott used a big slab of bubinga. The desk looks really great.

Quote Originally Posted by "Jacob Robinson" View Post
    Scott lives about 30 minutes from me in Piqua, OH I believe, he makes reguarr appearances at our local Woodcraft Store
    I have been told you can see his shop from I-75 where the show is filmed but not sure exactly where it is.
    Scott use to work for Shopsmith. If you have any old Shopsmith catalogs around he is in them.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    I googled "the american woodshop" and found this website. Apparently you can watch every episode that has already been aired. COOL!
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Ray,

I agree. My local PBS station stated carrying the show on a weekly basis last summer. I found it on accident, he seems to be a very good and very talented woodworker. I like it because he seems to use more "real wood" than furniture grade plywood when constructing even large furniture projects. I hope my local PBS keeps it on the air for many years to come.

This is not meant to be a dis on Scott, I'm sure he's a great guy, but everytime I watch that show I feel like I'm watching Mr. Rogers. Anybody else feel this way?