Thread: Hard maple burl NE bowl with character

Hard maple burl NE bowl with character

Well here is a wild bowl that I turned from a small tree burl. I get these a lot on our hunting property and they come in lots of sizes and shapes. I think a limb dies and bugs or something get in the knot and the tree grows these burls. I left it thick and when I got inside the center of the tree was mostly rotten so I left it the way it was. All mother natures beauty uncovered. There is a picture of what they look like before I start.

Thanks for checking it out.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

That's a pretty one.

Wow I bet that was nerve racking! What aq fantastic job there! Id be afraid the whole thing would come flying off at me.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Real nice looking bowl Jeff! Great job on keeping all the bark! Also like how you added just a touch of curl on the inside for effect!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Not knowing what is inside..

Thanks All,

I really like to turn the pieces oof wood that hold some mystery! I have a bunch of them like I said. I had turned one other into a vase with all the voids and bark, it looked great. I sold it on e-bay earlier this year. I have some more projects that are almost done. So more to show soon!

Thanks again!
    Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Great looking bowl Jeff. Keeping the bark and the inside effect looks good.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Man I really like that!!!!!
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

I LOVE this, it looks so undoable! I'm not sure I would have the nads to put that on a lathe.
    GREAT job.
    Change One Thing

Excellent job!

I have some wood like that and now I have an idea what to do with it.

Thanks!
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

So, I'm guessing you didn't use the vacuum chuck to hold it while you finished the foot.

Silicone covered vac disc as jam chuck

I used a vac chuck I made for flat or mostly flat pieces that has a small ridge around the edge. I covered it with some silicone rubber sheet so it works great to hold odd things against the tail stock and still has some grip but does not hurt the finish. I turned it down to a small nib and then sanded off to finish.

Thanks for looking!

Jeff