Thread: Childs Rocking Airplane

Question Childs Rocking Airplane

I'm searching for plans to build a rocking airplane for a small child. I saw one for sale but would like to build one. Does anyone have or know where to find the plans to build one. It's a bi-wing sort and has a seat and hand holds on the upper wing. I thought it was a cool rocker and would like to build one. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Ted

Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Hi Ted,
    I have built several using plans I found in one of the catalogues several years ago. This design has double rockers front to back as part of the fuselage and double rockers wing tip to wing tip under the horizontal wing so it will rock 360 deg. It takes two 2X12's ten ft long. The plans have full size drawings of each component and I used tracing paper to transfer to the stock. My first one was a bit of a chore, but I bought a good Bosch
    jigsaw and the others were much easier. I also have a belt sander and an OSS so the edge finishing was easy as well. Dewey's example looks nicely done but the 360 rocking style is really fun for the kids. Let me know if you want me to look up(dig up) the plans and get more info for you. Should be plenty of time for the Elves to finish it before Santa starts his deliveries. John.

Thank you! I ordered the plans today.
    Ted

Here is one I just built out of cypress. I found the original in a trash pile and took it apart and made a pattern. This is the second one I have built. I modified the tail section to look more like a Spad.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=96643

Talk about replying to an old post, now that I'm in the grand child category, I too would like to build the airplane style rocker. Any plans out there for little Bam-Bam. I just missed one at the church auction last nite. In fact, I got there just as it was leaving and never had a chance to get a good look at it. Folks there said it was well done with red and blue colors to compliment. $125.00 bid took it.

My brother built this one for my son. Carrera had to check it out before he delivered it. I don't know where the plans came from but I could ask if you're interested.

Thanks Dave. Please do that. About what I'm looking for. Seems well constructed from the picture and should stand up well. Greg

Greg,

My brother doesn't remember where he found the plans to order and can find the plans either. I did a search and couldn't find this airplane design either. I banged out a quickie in SketchUp last night although I need to redo the rockers.

Unless the site with the plans turns up, I suppose one could build it from the SketchUp model.

Thanks Dave. I found another plan as well. Mix and match a few ideas from each. The other plan that I looked at called for a 52 1/2 " long rocker. A bit much, so I'm working at reducing to about 42 1/2". Same goes for the wings. I'm tinkering about lining the base of the rocker with a strip of thin rubber. Quiet, won't slide and a real saviour on good hardwood floors.

Good luck with it. You'll notice in the photo, the ends of the rockers have a sort of knob. This was my brother's addition to the plan to prevent the plane from rocking too far in either direction. You might want to cut a test rocker from scrap and see if you think you need to do the same thing.

Thanks Floyd. That was my other source as well. Like Dave mentioned, I will do a test scrap this fall just to see if the travel of the rocker will work well in a reduced role from 52 1/2" to 42 1/2" as well as the knobs to keep the thing from flipping. Another retirement income source for me no doubt. They seem to be a big seller everywhere I suspect for all the baby boomers.